- Other Location: Al Satwa - Dubai
- Duration: 5 Days
- Timings: Part Time, 4 PM- 9 PM
Legal English is a different language from general English. Just as lawyers in your own country write in a different language from other people, so do English speaking lawyers. This course addresses this issue.
Specific legal vocabulary of the UK and US systems. This can include all areas of civil and commercial law but will not include any criminal terminology.
- The law of contract
- Business /commercial law
- Tort( the law of civil responsibility, suing for damages in cae of accident, etc)
- The legal profession
- Landlord and tenant/real estate
- Employment law
- The law of intellectual property/copyright
- Basic insurance and banking terminology
- International law
- The style of formal, written legal English and drafting. This involves an awareness of the unusual grammatical structure of legal English and the use of archaic terms and structures in general English as used by lawyers. This course specifically requires a redrafting exercise , which gives students the opportunity to look at the difference between legal English of USA and the new, plain English style of England and Wales and the EU.
- The register of contractual documents. This looks at a general awareness of the resister used by lawyers when drafting and analysing contracts and other agreements .
- The register used in legal letters. This looks at a general awareness of the style of a general professional business letter between two professionals or from a lawyer to a client. Delegates will look at how to re-write an inadequately written letter in a professional up-to date manner
- The register of spoken general English in a legal context. This looks at a general awareness of the register used by lawyers in meetings /negotiations when using general English to discuss legal matters. It is essential to look at idiom as well as more formal styles expression
- Any lawyer or law student working in the international market.
- Law firms who require training in modern legal writing.
- Law students who wish to study law in the UK .
- Translators and interpreters.
On final day, delegates will take a 2.5 hours written exam. Exam papers will be marked by TOLES examination body & delegates will receive their marks.
Legal English Advanced is recommended for lawyers who are fairly confidant in their use of English.
Lawyers should have an upper- intermediate to advance level of general English to get maximum benefit from this course.Updated on 08 November, 2015
About EMG Associates (UK) LimitedWho We Are:
We are a dynamic, enterprising, and creative organisation committed to providing excellent legal services enriched by our focus on our clients.
To be recognised as the leader of legal products & services in our market segments based on our organisational an operational excellence.
- Deliver great products and services at affordable prices through a consistent and excellent service experience;
- To pursue excellence in the professional educational and developmental efforts within our specialty.
We provide post qualification CPD training for the legal profession. We are authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority to provide courses for the purpose of CPD. Courses are also suitable for members of ILEX and the Institute of Paralegals.
We have a reputation for delivering high quality, cost-effective training. Our acclaimed teaching strategy is based on personalised learning, where we aim to develop the competence and confidence of every delegate by actively engaging them in the seminars.
Our legal consultancy division concentrates on providing legal solutions for today's business environment. Knowledge of diverse business backgrounds enables us to understand clients' needs and to provide bespoke solutions for all size operations.
Our goal is to provide simplicity and convenience to our clients always focusing on practical, business-focused solutions.
Our divisions work closely together to deliver high quality legal products and services. See all EMG Associates (UK) Limited courses