This course is particularly aimed at students who have completed the Introduction to Interior Design Level 1 course at DUCTAC. If one has not completed this course, they need to have some knowledge of scaled drawings and materials selection. Through the sessions, the students will further develop their skills, enthusiasm and flair for Interior Design by producing more detailed drawings and presentations.Furthermore, they will be introduced to design genres/history such as Art Nouveau, Art Deco, the Modernists and Contemporary designers. The lessons will be fun, practical and very hands-on with lots of exposure to samples materials. The main aim of the course is that students design the whole ground floor of a large villa with particular focus on two rooms for their final project.
- Discussion on the project. Practice drawing 1:100 plans and 1:50 elevation drawings.
- Introduction to the Art Nouveau Style and one of its major designers C.R. Mackintosh
- Activity: Sample design of the villa’s entrance areas including drawings, samples and pictures.
- Introduction to the Art Deco Style including furniture designs and motifs
- Make some initial decisions on furniture and flooring finishes and layouts for the villa project
- Activity: Sample design of the villa’s guest room including drawings, samples and pictures.
- Introduction to the Modernist Movement including pioneering furniture designs
- Make some initial decisions on lighting and ceiling finishes and layouts for the villa project
- Activity: Sample design of the villa’s dining room including drawings, samples and pictures.
- Introduction to the work of Contemporary designer Kelley Hoppen
- Budget estimates/BOQs
- Activity: Sample design of the villa’s formal living room including drawings, samples & pictures.
- Introduction to the work of Contemporary designer Karim Rashid
- The importance of accessories, artwork and artifacts in finishing an interior.Wall finishes plan.
- Activity: Sample design of the villa’s family living room including drawings, samples & pictures.
- Project Presentation and Feedback
About Dubai Community Theatre & Arts Centre
Dubai Community Theatre & Arts Centre (DUCTAC) aims to contribute to the creative and cultural development of Dubai by presenting and hosting a programme of events and participatory activities for Dubai’s many multi-national communities and visitors alike.
The Theatre & Arts Centre is the first modern, non-profit, cross-community creative centre in the Gulf. This flagship project was the brainchild of local theatre-lovers, arts enthusiasts, artists and business people who recognised the need for an entertainment and educational centre for the community and future generations of Dubai.See all Dubai Community Theatre & Arts Centre courses