The early development of project management focused heavily on techniques such as the planning and control of large, multi-functional, multi-organisational projects. Whilst these activities remain central to professional project management, the leadership role of the project professional has been increasingly recognised as a key determinant in delivering success.
This programme focuses on the leadership skills needed in project situations, where tight budgets and deadlines demand high levels of performance from a team that is frequently changing and where the working environment presents fresh challenges on a daily basis.
- understand the significance of leadership skills to the project professionals and the impact of these skills on project performance
- review the key skills needed to be an effective, 'multi-dimensional' project leader and learn how to develop, adapt and apply them in practice
- learn how to identify the preferred leadership style for the context and organisational culture of a project and how to develop personal style versatility
- understand the role of the project leader in building an effective team and the skills required to promote and sustain team performance
- gain a better understanding of the interpersonal skills needed to motivate individual team members and harness the full potential of the team
Participants will learn through a range of teaching and personal development methods including presentations, tutorials, real life case studies, worked examples, short team exercises and video presentations. Active participation and involvement will be encouraged throughout the programme to promote the sharing of ideas and expertise within the group.
This programme aims to help attendees understand the essence of leadership and how to maximise their own leadership potential. Participants will gain valuable insights, models and methods of leadership that will help them develop the leadership skills needed to develop and sustain high performance project teams.
DAY 1 - Project management and leadership
- what is a leader? how much can leadership be learned?
- the project environment and the impact of leadership skills
- the characteristics of high performance project teams and their leaders
- some useful models and theories of leadership explored
- types of leadership; choosing how use leadership power
- evaluating personal leadership style; how to develop style flexibility
DAY 2 - Essential skills for the project leaders
- 3 key dimensions of project leadership: inwards, outwards and upwards
- developing a 'project vision': strategic thinking skills
- the vital role of communication skills and how to develop them
- understanding others; emotional intelligence skills
- being a visible leader; behavioural and influencing skills
- building effective relationships; the importance of trust and respect
DAY 3 - Leading the project team
- the role of leadership in developing team performance
- understanding individuals in the team; recognising team role preferences
- managing conflict and promoting positive team dynamics
- setting standards, maintaining discipline and rewarding performance
- harnessing team potential: building motivation within the team
- promoting team learning; the team leader as coach/mentor
DAY 4 - Leading across organisational boundaries, internal and external
- gaining the support of other leaders; developing effective influencing skills
- getting empowerment from key stakeholders
- knowing when and how to take the initiative and lead
- building and maintaining rapport with key partners
- becoming an effective team player in leadership teams
- becoming a business leader and leading other leaders
DAY 5 - Leading more senior stakeholders
- the challenges and skills of leading and managing upwards
- communicating with senior stakeholders; building credibility
- essential negotiation skills; knowing when and how to negotiate
- the role of networking skills; building and sustaining rapport
- handling disagreements between senior stakeholders; the art of diplomacy
- handling personality and style conflicts with more senior people
The adage that “knowledge” is power holds very true in this industry. In order to maximize results we are constantly updating and upgrading ourselves. This commitment to ongoing skills development is one of the reasons we are success, the belief that there is a “better way to do things” is what motivates us each and every day. By aligning with us you are going to benefit from our years of expertise in real world scenarios. Classroom learning is great but there is no substitute to real world experience which is what we are bringing to the table.
Billionaire investor Warren Buffett said “price is what you pay but quality is what you get” and that expression is very true. With use we understand that your time is very valuable and you only want the best and most current industry related knowledge which is what we bring to the table. Instead of giving you massive amounts of inaccurate or outdated information you get precisely what you want, the most current knowledge so you can make truly informed decisions that will directly impact productivity and your bottom line. When results are what you are looking for then the choice is clear, we are your partners in success.
Technology has revolutionized the way knowledge is disseminated in throughout the world, what use to take months or even years to reach the masses can be done in a few hours ! In order to remain relevant and viable we need to embrace innovations. The challenge with innovation is knowing when to implement it and what type of return you can expect from it. Instead of risking your time and resources we have the answers for you, Since we are at the vanguard of the industry whenever there is a fruitful innovation we will be there providing you with the information needed to make the right decision.
We understand you may have unique need so we provide a tailored made (bespoke for our U.K. friends) approach that will address your questions in the most conducive manner possible. Respect to us means putting your interests, your needs at the forefront of our mind. You will see how genuine we are and that you not just “some customer” you are our partner in success just as much as we are your partner in success. We firmly believe in the “golden rule”, treat others with graciousness, courtesy and respect. Come experience the difference that quality and respect makes and you will truly be amazed.
Leadership Related Questions
Could you please guide me, as what are the requirements for taking Quantity Surveying course? I w...
Unanswered //Oct 8, 2016 Project Management, Quantity Surveying