The MSc in International Money & Banking is a one-year, full-time Masters degree that provides students with excellent training for careers in banks, financial institutions, insurance companies, Central Banks and Ministries of Finance/Economics as analysts and/or advisers, as well as in the relevant departments of higher education.
The degree focuses on the use of advanced economics, quantitative methods, finance and banking (financial intermediation) theory in the understanding of the functions and problems of the international money markets and financial institutions.
Its purpose is to equip students with a range of methodological and problem solving skills and specialised knowledge relevant for international money and banking.
The degree will provide insights into the causes and effects of the ongoing Financial Crisis. Underlying causes of the crisis such as moral hazard and agency issues will be addressed in the “Economic Theory & Applications” and “Incentives & Performance” units; the transmission of the crisis through financial markets and into the “real” economy will be addressed in the “Economics of Financial Institutions” and the “Economics of Bond Markets” units, while the policy response will be analysed in the “International Monetary Policy & Institutions” units.
The MSc in International Money & Banking has a strong analytical specialist core including new units in the Economics of Financial Markets and Financial Economics, supported by new optional units, in the Economics of the Bond Market and International Monetary Policy & Institutions. This specialist knowledge is further supported by the study of econometrics and appropriate topics from economic theory that provide general analytical theoretical insights which are then used in the more specialist units. The structure is academically robust, with emphasis on enhancing the students’ problem solving ability and understanding.
The programme compliments the existing range of established postgraduate programmes currently offered by the University, including the MSc Economics, MRes Economics and the MSc Economic & Finance programmes.
- ranked first for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey (NSS)
- a campus university only one mile from the UNESCO World Heritage city of Bath
- a medium-sized and safe university with a friendly and collegial feel
- a well-established university with a lively atmosphere and modern outlook.
- taught and research postgraduate programmes in Science, Engineering, Languages, Social Sciences and Management
- an excellent research reputation - 60 per cent of the work submitted for the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise was judged to be ‘world-leading’ or internationally excellent.
- a strong relationship with business and industry
- a diverse international student community with students from over 100 countries
- professional careers advice and a programme of up to 330 employer recruitment visits to campus annually
- guaranteed accommodation for new overseas postgraduates who meet the application deadline.
- a 24 hour Library and Learning Centre
- free access to email and internet
- a strong support network – including Personal Tutors, a Medical Centre, Counselling Service, active Student Union, and Learning Support