With GSM networks carrying more traffic than most technologies put together, it becomes critical for a good cell planner to have a wide set of skills and knowledge encompassing radio propagation effects, GSM air interface protocols, prediction models and tools, traffic dimensioning, capacity and coverage enhancement methods, optimization techniques as well as the ability to interpret system information. The GSM cell planning course addresses these requirements of a modern GSM cell planner through key learning points which are reinforced through practical demonstrations, tutorial exercises and case studies.
- Understand dimensioning of traffic and control channels using Erlang traffic theory
- Design frequency plan taking into account co-channel /adjacent channel interference.
- Explain how uplink and downlink coverage is balanced.
- Conduct link budget calculations.
- Make coverage predictions based upon theoretical and empirical models.
- Identify techniques adopted in GSM to enhance coverage and capacity.
- Identify transmission problems and mitigating techniques.
- Examine key radio network features used for network optimization.
- Design a specimen radio network-using cell planning guidelines.
Introduction to Cell Planning
- Cell Planning Procedure
- Different Cell Types
- Interference and Reuse
- Traffic models
- Channel utilization, Trunking efficiency and GOS
- Dimensioning control and traffic channels using Erlang B Model
- Modelling for GPRS and EDGE traffic
System Balance and Link Budget
- System balance calculations
- Fading margins - Jakes Curves
- Indoor coverage
Physical and Empirical Propagation Models
- Free space, Ground reflection and Knife edge diffraction models
- Okumura, Cost 231 Hata, Lee, Wolfish Ikegami Models
- Keenan Motley Model
- Electrical characteristics
- Radiation pattern morphology
- Antenna types and mechanical considerations
- Types and applications
- Repeater link design
- Sectorization and Cell Splitting
- GSM Features: frequency hopping, power control, DTX and half rate
- Capacity optimization: Overlay, HCS, MRP and Load Sharing
Cell Selection and Reselection Procedures
- C1 and C2 Criterion
- Location Updating
- Handover in GSM and GPRS
- Locating Algorithm
Time Dispersion and Interference
- Environments and Countermeasures
- Parameter Types
- System Information Messages
- Radio Network Design
- Case Study
About Etisalat Academy
We_They is the largest single-source business and telecom training solutions provider in the Middle East. For 30 years we have been providing training consultancy and human capital development services to telecoms, government agencies, oil & gas companies, financial institutions and organizations across all industries and business sectors.
We provide training and development programs ranging from cutting-edge technology courses in 3G, WiMAX, VoIP or IPTV, to career-changing leadership masterclasses, strategy workshops and business management seminars.
Based in the UAE and operating a 1.2 Million square feet training facility in Dubai, our partner network spans two continents and delivers world class training solutions to customers in over 28 countries in GCC and MENA regions.
We help organisations to:
- Develop effective leaders, managers and team members
- Discover and overcome competency gaps
- Measure and improve performance
- Build teams and improve communication
- Recruit and retain talent
- Build a knowledge culture
- Create an organisation-wide competency framework
- Stay competitive by using cutting-edge technology