Effective Mentoring is a one-day course that is practical and skills-based using real situations and focusing on personal feedback and action planning. Learning methods include discussion, role-play theory, practical tips and hints and action planning.
The aim is to build your knowledge and skills of this highly rewarding activity to develop a range of mentoring styles to support the mentee to the benefit of individual and organisation. The course includes ideas on the mentoring ‘contract’, protecting mentoring time and managing expectations in a busy workplace as well as evaluating the effect of mentoring activity.
Is it right for me?
Effective Mentoring can benefit those setting up or developing an existing scheme. It is also recommended for individuals taking on a mentoring role for the first time or developing existing skills.
The course would particularly benefit managers who wish to engage and inspire people in other teams and areas of the business in terms of tackling challenges, building skills and supporting their longer term career aspirations.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- State the difference between coaching, counseling and mentoring
- List the attributes of an effective mentoring scheme including the mentee’s role
- Understand the role of the mentor as a developer of others.
- Describe the skills of an effective mentor and how to avoid typical pitfalls
- Make use of the latest mentoring models and styles to structure and make your meetings more effective.
- Inspire your mentee by agreeing motivational outcomes.
- Learn how to assess your effectiveness as a mentor.
What will it cover?
Working as a Mentor
- The benefits and pleasures of being a mentor
- Attributes of an effective mentoring programme
- Key Skills of mentoring and avoiding the pitfalls
- What is the role of the mentor and mentee?
- Differences from coaching and counseling
The Mentoring Meeting
- How to structure your meetings
- The importance of ‘contracting’, protecting mentoring time
- Adopting a style that meets your mentees need
- Conflicts and challenges in meetings
- Practice role play and feedback
Developing Your Mentoring Ability
- How to track success and build networks
- What to do if things go wrong
- Encouraging and working with two way feedback
Developing a mentoring culture and building an action plan
- Key stakeholders and effective inputs (beyond mentors and mentees)
- Gaining buy in and support at all levels
- Prepare a personal action plan
About World Knowledge
A subsidiary of We_They Strategies Corporation , We_They is a World performance improvement company and a leader in sales and technical training, management consulting, and engineering services.
We help improve your organisational effectiveness through innovative and knowledgeable training, consulting, and business improvement services customised to meet your specific needs. With offices throughout The Middle East, we are strategically positioned to serve you at your locations around the world.See all World Knowledge courses