- Duration 2 Years
- Locations Jalan Genting Kelang 53300 Setapak Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Food Science programme integrates and applies knowledge within disciplines such as chemistry, microbiology, engineering and nutrition to preserve, process, package, and distribute food products and design new processes to improve the safety and quality of foods. Food scientists develop new foods, add value to raw food commodities and improve the quality and safety of existing food products.
This programme provides students with the scientific knowledge and skills of the food chain and forms a link for those wish to embark on a career in the dynamic food and nutrition industries. The programme covers basic principles in the basic sciences in relation to the study of food science as well as the application of basic science such as food chemistry, food microbiology, food technology and nutrition. The nutrition subjects provide knowledge and skills to understand diseases of dietary origin.
This programme also offers hands-on practices and prepares graduates with fundamental laboratory skills and techniques in food science, including those related to safety practices and standards, leading to the professionalism in the area of food science. Students will also be taught the basics of business and marketing. The better understanding of entrepreneurial skills can help graduates to take up challenges in the competitive food business.
Academic Progression to Overseas Universities
- Diploma graduates may be admitted into 2nd or Final Year of the relevant Bachelor Degree programmes.
Minimum Entry Requirements:
- 5 credits which must include Mathematics and Chemistry.
- Pass in Bahasa Malaysia and English Language
- 5 Grade B in the relevant subjects which must include Mathematics and Chemistry.
- Grade E in English Language
- 3 Grade B in the relevant subjects which must include Advanced Mathematics (I or II) and Chemistry
- 2 Grade C.
- Grade C in English
- Food Manufacturing
- Food Production
- Food & Beverages
- Research & Development
- Sales & Marketing
- Food Services/Nutrition Personnel
- Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Biology of the Cells
- Human Physiology
- Introduction to Food Science
- Principles of Nutrition
- Introductory Foods
- Food Physics
- Food Chemistry
- Human Nutrition
- Food Toxicology
- Food Technology
- Food Microbiology
- Food Analysis
- Food Hygiene and Sanitation
- Calculus and Algebra
- Statistics and Operations Research
- Information Systems and Application
- Business Organisation and Management
- Fundamentals of Marketing
Tunku Abdul Rahman University College (‘TAR University College’), formerly known as Tunku Abdul Rahman College (‘TAR College’), is a premier institution of higher learning in Malaysia set up in 1969 by the Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA) to provide quality and affordable tertiary education to Malaysians.
TAR College was named after the first Prime Minister of Malaysia, Allahyarham YTM Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj and set up to complement and supplement the efforts of the Malaysian Government to meet the current and future manpower needs of the nation.
It has since been successfully upgraded to University College on 2 May 2013, opening up a new vista for the University College to explore and to develop further in the sphere of academia.See all TARC University College courses