All business activities are governed by writing policy and procedures. Much effort is spent on looking at how to draft documents, and, while this is important, it sometimes overshadows the importance of the Policy or Procedure, and related documents such as Specifications and Standards.
The course will look at how these documents are created, and some of the main clauses that appear in them, all using real examples wherever possible.
The course will then consider methods to be used in drafting Policy and Procedures, and, in particular, how to avoid ambiguity and uncertainty. This is an area that generates large numbers of errors, and the aim of the course is to reduce the frequency of such errors and associated disputes.
The course will deal with Policy and Procedure documents written in the English language, but will use techniques which have wide application to many types of documents.
- Increase recognition of the use of Policy and Procedures
- Develop drafting skills, which will be useful tools in all types of documents
- Improve clarity of expression in documents
- Increase working knowledge of implications and potential problems with Policy and Procedures
- Better awareness of the commercial impact of drafting issues
- Improve ability to reduce the risks
The course will be beneficial to those who find themselves responsible for leading on, or implementing Policy and Procedures mechanisms in both the public and the private sector.
In addition, it will raise the awareness of those who have been allocated 'potential' or specific tasks in maintaining Policy and Procedures but have insufficient time to devote to the subject.
The delegates will be involved in the latest trends in seminar presentations. The classroom presentations are made up of interactive practical exercises, supported by audio visual material and case studies. Delegates will be expected to participate actively in relating the principles of Policy and Procedure writing to the specific needs for their industry.
- Expanding the expertise of personnel involved in developing Policy and Procedures documents will allow project and general management teams to be more effective
- Policy and Procedures documents should better reflect the commercial and other aims of the business
- Policy and Procedures should be more structured and focused on business goals
- Disputes should be reduced, and those that do arise should be settled more quickly, with less cost, delay and disruption
- Managers should have more confidence in discussing issues
- Dispute avoidance skills will be enhanced
- Improved overall processes
Other key reasons to attend are:
- Gain an opportunity to review Policy and Procedures and understand their importance to business
- Obtain the ability to get a broad view of importance of Policy and Procedures and similar documents and their role in the organisational management
- Understand the different roles of documents
- Learn drafting skills that will be usable in a wide range of situations
- Have the chance to practice drafting skills in a non-threatening environment
- Improve your strategic thinking on how to develop Policy and Procedures documents
- Learn practical techniques for the drafting of Policy and Procedures
- Improve your understanding of contract wording in the English language
- Identify where things can go wrong, and learn how to avoid problems, or mitigate their effects through well drafted documents and good management
- Improve your ability to interface with other professionals
- Provide an understanding of how Policy and Procedures are developed
- Consider who needs to be involved in the process of developing such documents
- Investigate issues concerning the use of international technical or other standards
- Improve appreciation of issues in Policy and Procedures and how they relate to other similar documents
- Improve drafting of work documents
- Reduce the risk of conflict arising from ambiguity or uncertainty
Delegates attending this seminar will gain an improved personal knowledge of Policy and Procedure creation in their organisations, they will learn skills to put into place standards, plans and strategies which if successfully implemented will increase their professional reputation and improve their ability to deal with implementation of Policy and Procedures.
The Core Competencies
- Report writing skills
- Implementation of procedures
- Project management skills
- Management techniques and practices
- Specialist Policy knowledge and awareness
- Preparation and planning skills
- Problem solving and analytical thinking
- Gain an in-depth knowledge of the key aspects of writing proper Policy and Procedures
- Recognise and prioritise the issues that are most likely to affect corporate reputation and write solid Policies
The Programme Content
Introduction to Policy & Procedure Writing
- Why they are important
- What makes a good Policy
- The structure of Policy and Procedures
- Writing styles
- Incorporation of other documents
The Governance and Roles involved in Policy
- The role of Policy and Procedures
- What needs to be included
- Who needs to be involved
- The review process
- The approval process
How to Implement Policy & Procedures
- Review of examples of Policy and Procedures
- Avoiding ambiguity
- Standards -ISO
- How to ensure staff compliance
Drafting Policy & Procedure
- Drafting guides
- Best practice
- Useful tips
- Effective writing
- Drafting exercises, based on the documents reviewed
Case Studies and Workshops
- Case Studies
- Workshop objectives
- Final wrap-up
The adage that “knowledge” is power holds very true in this industry. In order to maximize results we are constantly updating and upgrading ourselves. This commitment to ongoing skills development is one of the reasons we are success, the belief that there is a “better way to do things” is what motivates us each and every day. By aligning with us you are going to benefit from our years of expertise in real world scenarios. Classroom learning is great but there is no substitute to real world experience which is what we are bringing to the table.
Billionaire investor Warren Buffett said “price is what you pay but quality is what you get” and that expression is very true. With use we understand that your time is very valuable and you only want the best and most current industry related knowledge which is what we bring to the table. Instead of giving you massive amounts of inaccurate or outdated information you get precisely what you want, the most current knowledge so you can make truly informed decisions that will directly impact productivity and your bottom line. When results are what you are looking for then the choice is clear, we are your partners in success.
Technology has revolutionized the way knowledge is disseminated in throughout the world, what use to take months or even years to reach the masses can be done in a few hours ! In order to remain relevant and viable we need to embrace innovations. The challenge with innovation is knowing when to implement it and what type of return you can expect from it. Instead of risking your time and resources we have the answers for you, Since we are at the vanguard of the industry whenever there is a fruitful innovation we will be there providing you with the information needed to make the right decision.
We understand you may have unique need so we provide a tailored made (bespoke for our U.K. friends) approach that will address your questions in the most conducive manner possible. Respect to us means putting your interests, your needs at the forefront of our mind. You will see how genuine we are and that you not just “some customer” you are our partner in success just as much as we are your partner in success. We firmly believe in the “golden rule”, treat others with graciousness, courtesy and respect. Come experience the difference that quality and respect makes and you will truly be amazed.