- Locations: Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar
- Duration: 7 Weeks
This is an introduction to watercolor painting focusing on the use of this transparent medium to explore both abstract and realistic subjects.
Students will learn tips for mixing paint and handling brushes, basic wash techniques and capturing the effects of light. The topics covered will include negative painting, basic color tips, painting from still life and using photographs as sources for cityscape and landscape subjects.
- Introduction to watercolor painting and materials – view a wide variety of historical and contemporary watercolor painting examples. Tips for stretching watercolor paper and using the brushes to make a variety lines and shapes will be introduced
- Introduction to flat, graded and streaky washes, and negative painting techniques
- View a variety of watercolor still life examples. Painting from still life using washes and negative painting techniques. Tips for making preliminary sketches and for creating interesting negative shapes will be introduced
- Painting from still life continued
- View a variety of watercolor landscape painting examples. Introduction to creating dynamic compositions with a focus on landscape painting. Using photographs for reference
- Exploration of color schemes and color mixing. Tips for creating beautiful shadows.
- Introduction to using calligraphic line in paintings. Landscape painting continued
- Tips for putting the finishing touches on paintings. Cutting a hinged matt to display watercolor paintings
About VCU Qatar
VCUQatar is the Qatar campus of the prestigious Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Richmond, Virginia. Established in 1998 through a partnership with Qatar Foundation, VCUQatar offers a range of fully accredited BFA, MFA and BA courses in the Arts. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar students represent a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from more than 40 different countries.See all VCU Qatar courses