Course detailsUnless you yourself or someone close to you has dyslexia or if you teach those with the learning difficulty, it is often misunderstood and can actually go undiagnosed for some time, as it is seen as an "invisible" difficulty.
Developmental Dyslexia (more commonly known as simply "Dyslexia") is a Specific Learning Difficulty that affects the way the brain processes language, making it difficult for those affected to acquire skills in reading, writing and spelling, though it does not affect a person's intelligence. The Understanding Dyslexia Course begins by introducing students to dyslexia, how those with the condition are affected, and the causes.
We discuss 'Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD)' and how those with dyslexia are often affected by more than just the one condition. Here other SpLDs are outlined and students will learn how they can recognise and support a child with these various conditions.
As students begin to understand how a child with dyslexia may be feeling, the course also shows how to support children emotionally, with tools and techniques to increase their self-worth and regain positivity.
You will learn how to identify and diagnose dyslexia in both children and adults. This includes common behaviours that can be noted in undiagnosed children, including how they often hide symptoms, as well as various tests that can be undertaken.
The Understanding Dyslexia Course informs students about the importance of inclusion and what this means. Also in this module Special Educational Need or Disabilities in the law are discussed, both from parents and educational establishment's point of view, and how the relationship between both can benefit the child.
At the point which a child is diagnosed with dyslexia and is receiving an education adapted to his or her needs, it is important for their educators (both in school and at home) to understand literacy. The course talks in great depth about literacy and includes discussion on the importance of literacy, methods to teach the subject, the various parts of the subject, and includes various studies into the topic.
You will learn key areas that those with dyslexia can struggle with and shows how they can be overcome. These are Memory, Concentration, and Organisation, as well as an additional section named 'Other Strategies that can Help'.
- Module 1: Introduction: What is Dyslexia and What Causes It?
- Module 2: Common Co-occurring OtherSpecific Learning Difficulties
- Module 3: The Impact of Dyslexia on a Child's Self Esteem,Life Skills Development and Academic Progress
- Module 4: Identification Assessment and Diagnosis of Dyslexia
- Module 5: Inclusion - what it means and why it's important, and how to adapt teaching to a child's needs
- Module 6: The Principles of Literacy Teaching and Learning
- Module 7: Dyslexia and Developing Study Skills
Job roles this course is suitable for:Dyslexia
About Centre of Excellence
Where E-Learning Becomes Life-Changing!
Centre of Excellence is recognised worldwide as one of the leading online training providers, with hundreds of thousands of learners having gained vital skills and qualifications online via our Centre.
Our aim is to help you to achieve excellence in every area of your life via quality distance learning training courses. Whether you're looking to learn a new skill, to gain a qualification for a new career or to start a new business, Centre of Excellence can help you to achieve your goals and get to where you want to be.
- All of our courses come with full support from our dedicated team of tutors in your chosen subject field always on hand to help you complete your studies with us.
- We provide a state-of-the-art online learning platform where you can access your course materials 24/7 across any device.
- Whether you decide to study from home, from work or from wherever you choose, there are no deadlines for completing your work so you can study in your own time at your own pace.
- With over 1000 different flexible courses to choose from, we’re sure you’ll find something to fulfill your needs