- Duration: 8 Hours
Course description: This course is designed for nurses who want to learn the basics of the management of Diabetic patients’ emergencies
Target audience: Any nurse working in a clinical setting
- Learn about the different types of Diabetes Mellitus
- Understand the importance of blood sugar control
- Nursing interventions of the diabetic patient
- Dealing with diabetic emergencies (DKA and hyperosmolar non-ketotic hyperglycemia)
- Communicate efficiently to other healthcare professionals and the patient
- Handing over the patient in a standardized manner (SBAR)
- Review of concepts from literature
- Get to know the human patient simulator and equipment
- Demonstration session
- Simulation sessions that will include the following: DKA, sepsis secondary to diabetic foot, Hyperosmolar non-ketotic hyperglycemia and hypoglicemia)
About Dubai HealthCare City
The Khalaf Ahmad Al Habtoor Medical Simulation Center is an institution of the Mohammed Bin Rashid Academic Medical Center, located in Dubai Healthcare City. This state-of-the-art Center is the first of its kind in the UAE for the training of healthcare professionals in a simulated environment with no risk to patients.
Even in sophisticated healthcare systems many patients are harmed, not as a result of illness but as a result of preventable human error. Errors arise due to communication breakdown, loss of skills with time and failure to update knowledge. Simulation can add value by providing a realistic experience in a safe environment with no adverse consequences, develop team communication and increase retention of knowledge and skills.
The Khalaf Ahmad Al Habtoor Medical Simulation Center consists of two high-fidelity operating rooms, featuring functioning adult and paediatric intensive care and operating room equipment as well as an Intensive Care Unit/Post-Anaesthesia Care Unit, patient care rooms, a ward environment and a maternity room. A pre-hospital training facility for simulated trauma, such as car crashes, which will feature ambulance and helicopter environments will be available in 2013. The simulation areas have dedicated debriefing and seminar rooms. Training is provided in both technical and non-technical skills.
See all Dubai HealthCare City courses