The Master of Translation Studies (MATS) focuses primarily on the translation of written documents, such as literary texts, cultural pieces, news articles and press releases, and commercial documents. However, it also offers introductory courses in translation technology and subtitling. So if you are interested in pursuing a Ph.D., working as a professional translator in the private sector, or if you are not sure of what type of translation you want to focus on yet, MATS is the program for you.
- The MATS program aims to:
- Equip students with the knowledge and skills they need for a career in translation and/or in other professions which require expertise in cross-cultural communication.
- Equip students for further study and research in the field of translation studies and/or intercultural studies.
- Provide specialist training in various types of translation, including the use of technology in translation.
- Provide a gradual transition into the world of work through practical, real-life translation tasks, according to the student’s chosen specializations.
- Approaches to Translation
- Critical Reading and Writing Skills
- Special Topics in Translation
- Pragmatic Translation
- Commercial Translation
- Media Translation
- Translation Technologies
- Literary Translation
- Audiovisual Translation
- Intercultural Translation
Career Opportunities for MATS Graduates
MATS graduates have excellent employment prospects with many options available to them to develop their professional careers. They can work as in-house translators in various sectors (media, industries, tourism, advertising, insurance, banks, research institutions, public administration), as well as international organizations (United Nations agencies). Other career opportunities are open for MATS graduates when they gain some experience as translators. They can work as editors, revisers, terminologists or translation project managers. MATS graduates may also choose to pursue a stimulating career by starting their own businesses as translation agencies or take the competitive examination to become sworn (certified) translators working for the courts of justice in Qatar.
We_They (TII) was established with a mission to build translation capacity in Qatar and the region. It is a physical and virtual space that delivers sophisticated translator and interpreter education, high-level training in a range of languages, and quality translation and interpreting services of the highest international standards. TII also provides a platform for conducting cutting-edge research in the field, and is committed to fostering an environment that is supportive of cultural exchange and scholarly excellence.
Led by a distinguished international team of faculty and staff, TII consists of a Postgraduate Studies Department, a Research Center, a Language Center, and a Professional Services Center. It organizes a wide range of international and local events throughout the year, many of which are open to the public.See all Translation & Interpreting Institute (Hamad Bin Kahlifa University) courses