- Fees / Price KWD 300
- Duration 5 Days
- Locations P.O. Box 24885, Safat 13109, Kuwait
The main aim of the course is to introduce the participants to an overview of trace metal (Cu, Ni, Co and Fe) measurements using adsorptive cathodic stripping voltammetry (Ad-CSV) and Flow Injection Analyzer (FIA). The importance of speciation measurements, the techniques of Ad-CSV (Metrohm 797 VA Computrace) and FIA (Waterville analytical) will be discussed. Clean sampling, acid washing methods, associated laboratory settings and measurements including blanks, standards and reagents, quality control and quality assurance measures and results interpretation will be introduced.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Obtain general understanding of the main aspects and the importance of trace metal measurement using Ad-CSV & FIA
- Understand the instrument’s main concept and parts (electro-chemistry theory)
- Run and use the Ad-CSV and FIA independently
- Become aware of samples, standards, reagents preparation, acid cleaning and precautions to work in trace metal free environment
- Gain knowledge in sample collection for trace metal samples using Go flow sampling bottles and samples filtration and preservation
- Understand the software of the Ad-CSV and FIA instruments handling and data analysis
- Obtain experience and understand the quality control and quality assurance measurements associated with the Ad-CSV and FIA techniques
Scientists and laboratory technicians involved in marine chemistry and biology; staff from Ministry of Electricity and Water, Ministry of Public Works and EPA in Kuwait and the Gulf region responsible for water quality analysis and assessment; scientists and researchers from universities, institutes and agencies in the Gulf region interested in marine chemistry, in particular, the new technique measuring trace metals.
Experience in chemistry laboratories; B.Sc. and diploma in chemistry, marine science, biology, environmental sciences; Interest in marine analytical chemistry measurements
KISR is a pioneering, independent, national institute of scientific excellence. KISR’s initial role was dedicated to developing three fields of national importance: petroleum, desert agriculture, and marine biology. Since then, KISR’s role and responsibilities have expanded greatly to include the advancement of national industry and the undertaking of studies to address key challenges, such as the preservation of the environment, sustainable management of Kuwait’s natural resources, responsible management of water and energy, and development of innovative methods of agriculture.
KISR’s approach to meeting challenges is distinguished by a culture of openness, a commitment to our clients, and an integrated, cross-disciplinary approach. KISR routinely embarks on strategic partnerships with other regional and international institutes, agencies, and academic bodies, allowing an exchange of knowledge and expertise. Today, KISR is home to over 580 researchers and engineers and over 100 laboratories, housed at 8 locations, with growth expected through the implementation of a new strategic plan. KISR conducts scientific research and performs technological consultations, often in partnership with other regional and international institutions, for governmental and industrial clients in Kuwait, the Gulf region, and the rest of the world. These partnerships, driven by a philosophy of collaboration that runs deep within our culture, help build up our knowledge base, and facilitate the free flow of information, data, and expertise. This adds value to our clients’ business and ensures that the resources needed to confront the challenges They face are always available on demand.See all Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research courses