Renowned artist and calligrapher Sabah Arbilli holds an MA Visual Arts by the Visual Institute of Traditional Arts London (University of Wales) and has shown his calligraphy based art works widely and internationally throughout the Middle East, Europe, Russia, Turkey, Australia and throughout the world.
Sabah is a master in traditional calligraphy and delivered many specialized workshops. He is an award winner for his works and has works showcased all around Qatar including the calligraphy sculpture based on Sheikh Jassim’s poetry in stainless steel on the Corniche.
- Introduction to Thuluth, traditional materials and methods used, artists throughout the history and progression of course. Practice of basic letters
- Practical introduction to letters and writing, start-up session with letter writing using ink and bamboo pen. First six letters introduced
- Writing of letters and practice, each individual student will practice Thuluth style letters. Next six letters
- Thuluth letters next six letters of the Arabic alphabet
- Next six letters of the Arabic alphabet
- Last three letters of the alphabet and introduction to writing a simple word
- Introduction to hand-made paper and how to produce a finished calligraphy art piece
- Students will finish a calligraphic piece
About VCU Qatar
VCUQatar is the Qatar campus of the prestigious Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Richmond, Virginia. Established in 1998 through a partnership with Qatar Foundation, VCUQatar offers a range of fully accredited BFA, MFA and BA courses in the Arts. Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar students represent a diverse range of nationalities with students coming from more than 40 different countries.See all VCU Qatar courses