- Locations: Translation & Interpreting Institute (Hamad Bin Kahlifa University) Doha, Qatar
- Duration: 40 Hours
This course is the starting course of the Mandarin Chinese program, which also includes threeelementary courses and one intermediate course in succession. While the whole program aims toprovide a solid foundation in basic Mandarin Chinese, this Starter course starts with learningPinyin, the alphabetic pronunciation system of the Chinese language. Pinyin was originally designed toRomanize the Chinese language, so it was created basically from the Latin alphabet letters. Mastering Pinyin is an essential step toward moving forward with our communication-oriented Chinese program, focusing on the practical communicative side of Mandarin Chinese, such as greetings, self-introductions and making appointments.
Having finished this level, you will:
- Be able to write down any Chinese words you hear in Pinyin Romanization
- Be able to look up new words in a Chinese dictionary
- Be able to recognize more than 60 Chinese vocabulary items besides the basic radicals and numerals
- Be able to greet people and introduce yourself and your family
- Be ready to enter the next level, Elementary 1, of the program
About Translation & Interpreting Institute (Hamad Bin Kahlifa University)
We_They (TII) was established with a mission to build translation capacity in Qatar and the region. It is a physical and virtual space that delivers sophisticated translator and interpreter education, high-level training in a range of languages, and quality translation and interpreting services of the highest international standards. TII also provides a platform for conducting cutting-edge research in the field, and is committed to fostering an environment that is supportive of cultural exchange and scholarly excellence.
Led by a distinguished international team of faculty and staff, TII consists of a Postgraduate Studies Department, a Research Center, a Language Center, and a Professional Services Center. It organizes a wide range of international and local events throughout the year, many of which are open to the public.See all Translation & Interpreting Institute (Hamad Bin Kahlifa University) courses