ConstructionSkills, the construction industry's Sector Skills Council, working together with Marks & Spencer, has developed an innovative new sustainability course designed to enhance the skills of those working on construction and refurbishment sites across the country. Sustainability is a complex area, and this course attempts to simplify it by developing a course for contractors that gives a good overview of the key issues.
Site Sustainability Simplified is an interactive two-day course designed for staff with construction site management and supervisory responsibilities. The course will give delegates a much needed understanding of the principles of sustainable construction and show them how this can be applied, and put into practice on site.
It provides a practical summary of sustainability and environmental issues and enables delegates to understand and put into practice the principles of sustainable construction to meet the demands of the environmental and sustainability agenda. It will also support them in communicating effectively with site operatives
To ensure the integrity of the course content Marks & Spencer and ConstructionSkills drew on the expertise from the Building Research Establishment (BRE) in its development and evaluation.
This course aims to;
- provide delegates with a comprehensive understanding of the social and environmental impacts and issues associated with construction activities
- develop an understanding of why sustainability issues are important in the construction context
- provide a basic understanding of the following key issues:
- Archaeology and Heritage
To provide for each of the issues listed above, an understanding is required of:
- the issue - on a global, national and local scale
- how it affects construction activities
- a summary of associated legal requirements
- key do's and don'ts
- best practice techniques
- where to find further information
This is to ensure that at the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- understand the need to consider sustainability
- have an understanding of environmental law
- understand how sustainability fits into their role
A highly participative classroom based course centred around the use of power point presentations.
Each candidate receives a copy of the Site Sustainability Simplified handbook SU 01
A 30 minute, 25 question, objective multiple-choice examination at the end of the course. The pass mark is 72%. Successful candidates will be awarded the ConstructionSkills Site Sustainability Simplified Certificate.
About British Safety Services
BSS is one of the leading providers of health and safety training in the UK and across the globe.
Since being the first NEBOSH accredited Training Provider to export the NEBOSH National General Certificate, NGC, outside the UK shores, (Muscat, Oman; 1993), BSS has gone on to score several other firsts;
- First to present the NGC in the Sultanate of Oman
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Algeria
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Libya
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Algeria
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in China
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Qatar for the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety
- First in Qatar to conduct the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety, with 100% pass rate, of which 7% were distinctions, 57% credits and 36% base passes
- First to Present the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety in China.
- First to offer the IOSH Supervising Safely, (which was written by BSS and donated to IOSH).
- BSS was one of the trusted few chosen to pilot the NEBOSH International Construction Certificate in the UAE.
- BSS are extremely proud of their exceptional results and pass rate with the NEBOSH National General Certificate.
BSS is proud of their exciting development of services in the provision of Health, Safety, and Environmental, (HSE), training and consultancy. With 9 regional offices, UK, Qatar, Dubai, Yemen and China, with our two most recent offices now open in Algeria and Libya. BSS also has representative offices in Kuwait and Pakistan.
Additionally, BSS is represented on various industry bodies, and has close links with both CIEH and NEBOSH. NEBOSH revision papers and guidance is available to existing clients via the “client log in” area.
If you need support in health and safety training – in house within your organisation either in the UK or internationally, or need to attend one of our open courses please contact us.See all British Safety Services courses