- The dangers of container terminal working
- Terminal safety organization and responsibilities
- Safety policy, safety rules and regulations, safety handbook, risk assessment
- Principles of segregation — safety by design
- General safety rules
- Safe access to the quayside and berthed vessel
- Safe pedestrian access to ‘restricted’ areas
- Safe access for container-carrying vehicles
- Safe access for operational and engineering reasons
- Safe driving practices and procedures, equipment testing, fitness for use
- Safe access to high work locations
- Safe use of hand tools and lifting
- Personal protective equipment and its use
- Providing and maintaining a safe working environment
- Principles of good housekeeping
- Emergency plans, precautions and procedures, accident investigation.
This Unit is designed:
- To explain why container terminals are dangerous working environments.
- To discuss the importance and development of company safety policies and a company safety culture.
- To describe the general principles of safe working on a container terminal.
- To explain the practical procedures for safe access to and safe working on a container terminal.
- To discuss the need for and nature of emergency procedures and systems.