This seminar will emphasize awareness of project risk management to minimize project cost/schedule overruns & improve project execution.
Project management is all about the management of risks; the ability to seize opportunities, minimize threats and to optimize results. However, risk management is too often treated as a reactive process, or worse, not done at all. In this Project Risk Management course, you'll work through the proactive approach to both sides of risk: threats and opportunities. The approach is based on a clear understanding of both qualitative and quantitative approaches to risk management.
The highlights of this course are:
- Examine both the threats and opportunities facing your projects from both a top-down and bottom-up perspective using a proven six-step risk management process.
- Evaluate and respond to risk at the project as well as the task levels.
- Anticipate possible causes of cost and schedule overruns, together with poor quality of work. By identifying the warning signs to these as early as possible in the project timely corrective action can be taken to minimize or mitigate the impact.
An issue facing most projects is compliance; with both internal corporate policy and with government regulations. Failure to properly proceed in this area can result in costly schedule and budget problems on a project.
The program is designed to provide practicing project managers, program managers, technical leaders and owner/sponsors with the skills and knowledge to successfully manage risk throughout the project cycle. As such, delegates will:
- Get an overview of the Risk Management Process
- Learn to identify risks that affect project quality, time & schedule, cost and scope
- Apply useful techniques to identify, analyze, mitigate and monitor risks in the project life cycle
- Learn how to create an effective risk monitoring plan and risk management strategies.
- Use a practical, six-step process to manage project risk
- Develop a risk budget based on expected monetary value (EMV)
The training methodology will incorporate both theory and skill training components, utilizing both traditional lectures, as well as hands-on exercises, group discussions and case studies.
Both private and public organizations will greatly benefit from systematic approach to managing project, which will improve the likelihood of on-time and on-budget project completion by focusing on:
- Risk management planning in line with project objectives
- Proactive identification of risk sources and minimization of their impact
- Knowledge of risk compliance issues and practices
- Understanding the relationship between risk, scope, cost & time
- Knowledge of mathematical techniques used in risk analysis
- Evaluating alternative risk strategies and modifying project plans accordingly
- Identify threats and opportunities and weigh their relative value in your project
- Learn how to rank risks based on the amount of exposure to the company
- Develop the skill necessary to quantify risks
- Employ the concept of Expected Monetary Value (EMV) to prioritise the risk mitigation strategy
- Control multiple risks using concise strategies
- Make risk and opportunity integral components of your next project plan
Risk Management Framework and Planning
- Key definitions
- Project Management Body Of Knowledge (PMBOK) - 6 risk management processes
- Project risk management goal
- Purpose of risk management
- Benefits of risk management
- Responsibilities in risk management
- Integrating risk management into the project management process
- Components of risk
- Types of risk
- Six steps of risk management
- Plan the approach to risk management
- Risk Identification
- Risk Assessment & Quantification
- Risk Response Plan Development
- Risk management plan execution
- Evaluating risk response results
Risk Planning (Step 1)
- Plan the approach to risk management
- Planning inputs, tools & outputs
Risk Identification Processes
Risk Identification (Step 2)
- Identification inputs & tools
- Identification guidelines
- Risk identification techniques
- Risk categories
- Risk identification outputs
Review of Cost & Schedule Estimating in Relation to Risk
- Cost estimating classes & types
- Cost estimating methods
- Accuracy, allowances, contingency & management reserve
- Work Breakdown Structures (WBS)
- Schedule diagramming - critical path method (CPM)
- Resource management
- Earned value method (EVM)
Risk Assessment and Quantification Processes
Risk Assessment & Quantification (Step 3)
- Risk analysis inputs
- Risk analysis guidelines
- Probability analysis
- Impact analysis
- Risk analysis approaches - qualitative & quantitative
- Risk analysis tools & techniques
- Statistical sums in risk analysis
- Program Evaluation & Revue Technique (PERT)
- Monte Carlo simulation
- Decision trees
- Project risk rating & prioritizing
- Risk analysis outputs
Risk Response Plan Development
Risk Response Plan Development (Step 4)
- Risk response development inputs, tools & techniques
- Risk response strategy guidelines
- Response strategies for threats
- Response planning & network diagramming
- Response analysis
- Alternative responses
- Reserves - contingency & management
- Response planning outputs
Risk Response Control
- Risk management plan execution (Step 5)
- Risk response control tools
- Risk response control guidelines
- Risk strategy execution
- Evaluating risk response results (Step 6)
- Risk documentation
The adage that “knowledge” is power holds very true in this industry. In order to maximize results we are constantly updating and upgrading ourselves. This commitment to ongoing skills development is one of the reasons we are success, the belief that there is a “better way to do things” is what motivates us each and every day. By aligning with us you are going to benefit from our years of expertise in real world scenarios. Classroom learning is great but there is no substitute to real world experience which is what we are bringing to the table.
Billionaire investor Warren Buffett said “price is what you pay but quality is what you get” and that expression is very true. With use we understand that your time is very valuable and you only want the best and most current industry related knowledge which is what we bring to the table. Instead of giving you massive amounts of inaccurate or outdated information you get precisely what you want, the most current knowledge so you can make truly informed decisions that will directly impact productivity and your bottom line. When results are what you are looking for then the choice is clear, we are your partners in success.
Technology has revolutionized the way knowledge is disseminated in throughout the world, what use to take months or even years to reach the masses can be done in a few hours ! In order to remain relevant and viable we need to embrace innovations. The challenge with innovation is knowing when to implement it and what type of return you can expect from it. Instead of risking your time and resources we have the answers for you, Since we are at the vanguard of the industry whenever there is a fruitful innovation we will be there providing you with the information needed to make the right decision.
We understand you may have unique need so we provide a tailored made (bespoke for our U.K. friends) approach that will address your questions in the most conducive manner possible. Respect to us means putting your interests, your needs at the forefront of our mind. You will see how genuine we are and that you not just “some customer” you are our partner in success just as much as we are your partner in success. We firmly believe in the “golden rule”, treat others with graciousness, courtesy and respect. Come experience the difference that quality and respect makes and you will truly be amazed.