- Fees / Price TBA
- Duration 1 Day
- Locations Nasr City
One of the many challenges posed by projects is the need to negotiate, often with more senior stakeholders, around issues such as the availability of resources, supplier contracts and working hours.
This practical and energetic one-day workshop will cover all the essential negotiation skills needed within a typical project environment. Delegates will be given tips and techniques to help them have more structured and successful negotiations. The morning session will cover theory, leaving the afternoon session free to run a practical and relaxed project management-related exercise. During this exercise, delegates can test their skill sets and establish how successful they are at maximising their position. Participants will return to their project environment and put their new found skills immediately into practice.
Is it right for me?
Suitable for project managers or others who need to negotiate within a project environment. The course will benefit both those developing negotiation skills from scratch or those who are looking to refresh their existing skills.
Please note that this workshop will only briefly touch upon the common influencing and persuading skills, as it is focused almost entirely on negotiation situations where some form of bargaining/trading concessions is required. Should you particularly need to influence and persuade others then “Influencing and Persuading Project Stakeholders” will be more suited to your needs.
What will I learn?
By the end of this workshop you will be able to:
- Understand and demonstrate the eight steps to successful negotiation
- Prepare and plan for ‘win-win’ results
- Develop a negotiation strategy that supports rapport building and assertive conversations
- Understand and demonstrate how to create value in your proposals
- Use the most appropriate strategies and tactics for effective negotiation
- Understand the behaviours and signals of your client and how to respond appropriately
- Strategise and prioritise your concessions and their traded value
- Understand the role of procurement/purchasing and how to develop rapport with limited contact
- Be able to calmly work through objections and avoid deadlocks
- Recognise when and how to close a negotiation
What will it cover?
Planning your Negotiating Strategy
- Win-win collaborative negotiation – what does this mean for you in a project?
- Planning and preparing – what is expected from you in a project?
- Negotiation styles – which one are you and what does this mean for you?
- Understanding your project related goals, bottom lines and limits
Building Rapport – The First Objective
- Techniques for opening project related negotiations
- Understanding human behaviour and mindsets
- Identifying the procurement process and how to build rapport
- How to establish wants and needs – understanding their drivers and pains
- How to listen for what’s not being said
- Verbal and non-verbal communication – what do your face and body positions say to others?
Structuring your Opening Proposal
- Packaging your initial proposal to address the other party’s needs
- Understanding what part of your proposal isn’t suitable when it’s declined
- Assessing the balance of power in your project negotiations
- Ensuring you don’t start negotiating too early
Tactics and Techniques during the Negotiation
- Questioning and listening skills – keeping yourself ahead
- The need to remain flexible – overcoming objections
- How to negotiate creatively – learning to trade concessions
- Recognising negotiation tactics and how to respond to them
- How to avoid weakening your position in a project environment
- How to achieve win-win scenarios
Securing an Agreement and Reviewing your Strategy
- Knowing when and how to secure an agreement
- The things to consider after the negotiation – lessons learned
- Recognising developmental areas; building on your strengths
- Committing yourself to change on return to the workplace
- Maintaining your motivation levels and boosting your drive
A subsidiary of We_They Strategies Corporation , We_They is a World performance improvement company and a leader in sales and technical training, management consulting, and engineering services.
We help improve your organisational effectiveness through innovative and knowledgeable training, consulting, and business improvement services customised to meet your specific needs. With offices throughout The Middle East, we are strategically positioned to serve you at your locations around the world.See all World Knowledge courses