- Price TBA
- Duration 1 Day
- Locations Nasr City
Are you frustrated by delivering projects over budget or late? Do you constantly battle resource shortages and changing client expectations? Are your stakeholders difficult to deal with? Sound familiar?
Managing projects is both complex and challenging, given the many variables that need to be monitored and controlled. In live project environments it is in the effective day-to-day implementation and tailoring of best practice where the real benefits are to be gained for an organisation and that is the focus of this highly interactive one-day workshop.
The workshop is based around the delivery of a ‘live’ case study project which has already been planned. The starting point is the implementation of the project work based on an agreed business case and project management plan. Using a variety of situations, delegates will work in groups to identify how the various challenges they will face in the case study (some predictable and some not) should be addressed. The whole focus is on running a project.
Is it right for me?
Suitable for new project managers or those with some experience, providing there is already a working knowledge of the most common tools and techniques (e.g. Milestones, Gantt Charts, Network Diagrams, Risk Procedures etc). Delegates will want to focus on the implementation of the tools in a real project environment. Those who need to learn the basic tools and techniques from scratch, rather than their implementation, would be better suited to "An Introduction to Effective Project Management
What will I learn?
By the end of this workshop you will be able to:
- Communicate more effectively with all relevant stakeholders
- Implement project reporting at an appropriate level of complexity
- Use resource management techniques to handle a variety of resourcing challenges
- Deal effectively with unexpected risks and issues, including escalation where necessary
- Cope with change requests ensuring they are handled formally or informally as appropriate
- Use configuration management practices to control your baselined products
- Implement appropriate quality control procedures in your project
- Understand how to implement a Benefits Management Plan and the related reviews
In order to maximise the learning, delegates are provided with some reading prior to the workshop, so they can familiarise themselves with the project they will be managing.
What will it cover?
Effective Project Communication and Reporting
- Being clear about what to report on, when, to whom and at what level of detail
- Recognising the most effective types of reporting for your types of project
- Keeping important stakeholders ‘on-side’
- Getting stakeholders to do what you need them to do
Handling Varying Resource Requirements
- Using the right tools to deal with resourcing pressures
- Realising that more resource isn’t always the appropriate solution
- Histograms and ‘S’ Curves – how to make them add value
- Dealing with panics on the Critical Path
Dealing with unexpected risks and issues
- When to use formal processes and procedures
- Using the Registers effectively
- Effective escalation – what works best?
- The need to think and act broadly about risk (overlooking secondary risks?)
Handling Change Requests - Formally or Informally?
- The issues around scope change and scope creep
- Knowing which changes need to be controlled formally
- When and why a Change Board might be appropriate
- The common problems in handling change
Controlling your Controllable Products
- Ensuring all formal changes are followed through
- Configuration Manager – recognising their role and responsibilities
- Using status accounting effectively
- How best to implement verification and audit
Implementing Effective Quality Control and Reporting Procedures
- How to deliver ‘fit for purpose’ quality
- Controlling quality effectively
- Quality audits – what are we auditing?
How to Track and Report on Benefits Realisation
- Benefits realisation – whose job is it anyway?
- The link between Benefits Mapping and Benefits Realisation
- How to track and report on benefits both during and post project
A subsidiary of We_They Strategies Corporation , We_They is a World performance improvement company and a leader in sales and technical training, management consulting, and engineering services.
We help improve your organisational effectiveness through innovative and knowledgeable training, consulting, and business improvement services customised to meet your specific needs. With offices throughout The Middle East, we are strategically positioned to serve you at your locations around the world.See all World Knowledge courses