- Locations: Dokki
- Duration: 120 Hours
AMIDEAST, the largest American provider of English language training in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), has partnered with World Learning/SIT Graduate Institute — a U.S.-based global leader in teacher education—to launch a unique certificate program for teachers of English. Representing over 100 years’ experience in education, the two prestigious nonprofit organizations have joined forces to meet the growing demand in the Arab world for quality training in English language teaching and provide current and future teachers the first such American-accredited program available throughout the region.
English language teachers--and particularly certified, expert English language teachers--are in high demand worldwide. With English language proficiency increasingly linked to better opportunities for youth and improved business performance in the MENA, the need for qualified teachers is now more critical than ever. PCELT directly addresses this need by developing informed, analytical, and up-to-date teachers prepared to impact learners of all ages and backgrounds with different language goals. PCELT has a flexible, adaptable design that takes into account the many perse language classrooms and everyday realities of teachers in a complex and rapidly changing environment.
What is PCELT?
- PCELT is an internationally recognized TESOL certificate developed by AMIDEAST and World Learning/SIT Graduate Institute to be delivered through AMIDEAST’s network of offices in the MENA. The 120-hour program provides flexible delivery options and adaptable content to address different English language teaching needs and contexts – from public to private, urban to rural, traditional to alternative, resource-rich to resource-poor classrooms.
Who is PCELT for?
- PCELT is designed for current and aspiring teachers of English who are proficient English speakers but who have little or no teaching background, as well as for experienced teachers who wish to upgrade or update their knowledge and skills based on the latest language teaching methodologies and emerging trends in the field. PCELT-certified teachers gain many rewards, including a competitive edge for career advancement and increased confidence in the classroom.
What is the PCELT approach?
- PCELT is designed to provide the 10-12 participants in each course with needs-based, inpidualized attention throughout. PCELT provides a meaningful blend of theory and practice, with an ongoing emphasis on hands-on experience and practical application to a wide variety of teaching situations. The overall program approach is grounded in experiential learning, critical thinking, and creative problem solving within a learner-centered framework.
What do PCELT participants gain?
- PCELT participants gain professional competence as English language teachers through interactive workshops, guided lesson planning, observed practice teaching, and continuous peer and trainer feedback. The comprehensive curriculum covers both the fundamentals of effective English language teaching and a wide range of adaptable modules on such topics as assessment, teaching young learners, teaching English for specific purposes, materials evaluation and development, computer-based language learning, and classroom research. In addition, PCELT incorporates workshops on emerging trends and issues of particular relevance to the Arab world, such as the role of English in international communication, social media, economic opportunity, and education reform. Participants also receive information about English language teaching options in the Arab world.
About World Learning/SIT
- Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), World Learning/SIT Graduate Institute is the oldest provider of the Masters of Arts in TESOL in the United States. PCELT draws on over 70 years of WL/SIT’s pioneering teacher education programs around the world.
PCELT offers you
- A foundation in the latest English teaching methods
- A suite of adaptable modules for different teacher needs
- Workshops on emerging trends and opportunities in English language teaching in the MENA region
- Hands-on practice teaching with real students
- Flexible course options, intensive and non-intensive
- Networking with English teachers across the region
- Intro/Orientation Learning & Teaching Contexts Experiential Learning Guided Lesson Planning
- Second Language Acquisition Guided Lesson Planning Practice Teaching & Feedback
- Teaching Approaches Planning & Managing Learning Guided Lesson Planning Practice Teaching & Feedback
- Language Analysis Teaching Form & Meaning Guided Lesson Planning Practice Teaching & Feedback
- Teaching Listening & Speaking Teaching Reading & Writing Guided Lesson Planning Practice Teaching & Feedback
- Student Feedback & Error Correction Guided Lesson Planning Practice Teaching & Feedback
- Low- & High-Tech Aids Materials Adaptation Guided Lesson Planning Practice Teaching & Feedback
- Learner Assessment Guided Lesson Planning Practice Teaching & Feedback
- Language & Culture ELT in the MENA Workshops Guided Lesson Planning Practice Teaching & Feedback
- Practice Teaching & Feedback Teacher Portfolio & Professional Development Project