The main objectives of the training programme are
- To provide a comprehensive professional training programme in paediatrics for medical graduates in Kuwait to a level where they can be regarded as knowledgeable, competent, safe and practical paediatricians in all matters relating to child's health and illness.
- To produce well trained specialist paediatricians, capable of providing the future requirements of paediatrics and its sub-specialities in Kuwait for services in hospitals and associated institutions and for teaching of medical and allied health trainees.
The programme will include clinical training in
inpatient, outpatient and emergency service, study of relevant literature, attendance at specific meetings and training in investigations and research.
To give the candidate sound attitudes towards the child and his her family.
To provide the candidate a comprehensive knowledge of
- perinatology and neonatal care
- development of the infant and child in health and disease
- the influence of family, school and society on the child
- preventive health care for child (regular check ups. advice about nutrition, instruction on rearing of children, vaccinations, accident prevention etc.)
- the care of the sick child (diagnosis, treatment, follow up)
- rehabilitation of the handicapped child
To inculcate and foster attitudes that encourage continuous learning
Rotation and period of Training
The rotation is pided into:
- Paediatric surgery
- Haematology and Oncology
At the end of these rotations, the candidate should be able to do
- Evaluation of growth and development of the child in health and disease
- Understanding of child's dependence on his environment - parents, siblings, family, school society
- Training in the guidance of parents regarding nutrition and upbringing of children.
- Recognition of hazards in the environment of children- poisons, traffic, drowning, neglect
- Skill in diagnostic procedures
- Knowledge about treatment, including positive and negative effects of medical procedures and drugs.
- Pathogenesis of paediatric diseases
- be able to obtain a complete and detailed history of the child's problem in all aspects,
- have mastered the art of conducting efficiently complete physical examination in children of different age groups. He/she should be able to document his her findings in a proper way.
- be able to present these findings efficiently at ward rounds and during other academic meetings,
- be able to identify the problems and organize the relevant investigations for confirming diagnosis
- be able to list and initiate the necessary treatment of commonly encountered diseases and to recognise the need for consultation at appropriate time.
- be able to perform relevant technical procedures in paediatrics
- Foetal growth (normal and abnormal). Labour (normal and abnormal).
- Assessment of newborn at birth, (normal and abnormal), transition of a newborn to extra- uterine life, a normal newborn and his variants, common diseases of newborn and their management.
- Ability to diagnose surgical emergencies and their urgent diagnostic work up and identify when to consult the paediatric surgeon;
- To provide the pre- and post-operative management of these surgical problems including their management in an intensive care unit;
- To gain experience with TPN of children in addition to the skills in minor bedside surgical procedures e.g. drainage of an abscess, suturing wounds etc.
- Principles of chemotherapy and its complications
- Ablility to provide treatment for children prior to specialist consultation and to decide as to when to refer a child to cardiac centre.
Attendance at meetings with active participation in the following:
- Journal club
- Mortality reviews
- Clinical meetings , including grand rounds and radiology meetings
Specific post-graduate courses which are held twice a year by the faculty each year. Attendance in these will be compulsory.
Trainees who have satisfactorily completed the rotation programme and have passed the final examination will be awarded a certificate by the Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialisation (KIMS) stating that they are recognised as specialists in Paediatrics.
About Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization
KIMS was established under a decree issued by HH the Amir of Kuwait. The institute is engaged in a variety of activities, including the organization of internship training of pre-registration medical graduates, specialty training at various levels in different medical fields, and continuing medical education programs for health professionals practicing in Kuwait.See all Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization courses