Survey of operating systems issues. Introduction to hardware and software components including: processors, peripherals, interrupts, management of processes, threads and memory, deadlocks, file systems, virtual machines and I/O systems.
CSC 271 & CSC 313
At the completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the components of operating system process management. [ABET a]
- Describe concurrency, synchronization and deadlock issues. [ABET a]
- Describe and analyze CPU scheduling techniques. [ABET a, j]
- Describe and analyze memory management techniques. [ABET a, j]
- Describe and analyze file system interfaces and management. [ABET a, j]
- Write a report on operating systems-related subjects. [ABET h]
- Communicate effectively on these issues, orally and in writing. [ABET f]
- Work effectively within a team. [ABET d]
- Install and use LINUX / UNIX operating systems. (Lab) [ABET i]
- Use advanced LINUX / UNIX threads in hands on exercises. (Lab) [ABET a, i]
About Gulf University for Science & Technology
In the mid-1990s, a group of distinguished Kuwaiti academicians and businessmen realized the vital importance of establishing a modern university in Kuwait equal in quality to other prestigious universities abroad and to serve the ever-increasing educational demands of the local society and the Gulf region. Its primary purpose was to prepare generations of young leaders and professionals for the demands of a new global technological era.
In January 1997, Kuwaiti Academic Group, comprised of 41 faculty members from Kuwait University, was established to lay the foundation for the proposed "University of the Future." Their studies culminated in the vision of "Gulf University for Science and Technology" (GUST).zSee all Gulf University for Science & Technology courses