- Price TBA
- Duration 6 Days
- Locations British Safety Services Aqueous 3 Aston Cross Business Park Aston Birmingham B6 5RQ England
The world-wide oil and gas industry is a high risk, high reliability industry extracting hydrocarbons at high temperatures and pressures, often under adverse weather conditions in remote and inaccessible locations. Research has indicated a positive relationship between good health management practices and safety performance (Mearns, Whitaker & Flin).
The International Technical Oil and Gas Certificate (OGC) is a specialist qualification for people in the Oil and Gas industry who are responsible for ensuring good health and safety practices as part of their day to day duties and is designed to provide a sound breadth of underpinning knowledge that enables them to manage operational oil and gas risks effectively. This qualification builds upon the underpinning knowledge already gained by studying either the National or International General Certificate. So this course is targeted at delegates who have successfully completed the NEBOSH National or International General Certificate.
The course focuses on operational process safety, so that candidates can effectively discharge workplace health and safety responsibilities both onshore and offshore throughout the world. It also highlights the importance of process safety management. After just six days of training you will be able to implement strategies to effectively manage risks that exist in the Oil and Gas industry.
The course is divided into five elements:
ELEMENT 1: Health, Safety and environmental management in context
- Learning from Incidents;
- Hazards inherent in oil and gas;
- Risk Management Techniques used in the oil and gas industries;
- Safety cases and safety reports;
ELEMENT 2: Hydrocarbon process safety 1
- Contractor management;
- Process Safety Management (PSM);
- Role and Purpose of a permit-to-work system;
- Key principles of shift handover;
- Plant operations and maintenance;
ELEMENT 3: Hydrocarbon process safety 2
- Failure modes;
- Safety critical equipment controls;
- Safe storage of hydrocarbons;
- Furnace and boiler operations;
ELEMENT 4: Fire protection and emergency response
- Fire and explosion risk in the oil and gas industries;
- Emergency Response;
ELEMENT 5: Logistics and Transport operations
- Marine Transport;
- Land Transport;
The primary method of learning will be via guided study and exercises to develop the knowledge and skills required for the final assessment. Considerable use will be made of videos. Homework will be set at the end of every day, which will require 45-90 minutes study per evening. Delegates’ progress will be monitored through continuous assessment and evening work.
The course consists of one unit, (IOG1) and candidates are assessed by a two hour written examination. On successful completion of IOG 1 examination a Certificate will be issued. Results will be advised within 10 weeks of examination date by NEBOSH.
Each delegate will receive a course manual, which is designed to follow and complement the NEBOSH syllabus. In addition BSS reference books will be available for individual and group work.
Refunds of fees will only be made for written cancellations received at least 21 days prior to the start of the course (less a 10% cancellation fee to cover administration costs). However, we are happy to accept substitute delegates. Any changes to delegates should be notified, by telephone, as soon as possible.
Bookings that are accepted within 48 hours are deemed confirmed and subject to payment, even if the delegate is subsequently unable to attend.
The programme of courses is correct at the time of publication. However, we reserve the right to alter or cancel the programme due to circumstances beyond our control.
BSS is one of the leading providers of health and safety training in the UK and across the globe.
Since being the first NEBOSH accredited Training Provider to export the NEBOSH National General Certificate, NGC, outside the UK shores, (Muscat, Oman; 1993), BSS has gone on to score several other firsts;
- First to present the NGC in the Sultanate of Oman
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Algeria
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Libya
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Algeria
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in China
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Qatar for the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety
- First in Qatar to conduct the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety, with 100% pass rate, of which 7% were distinctions, 57% credits and 36% base passes
- First to Present the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety in China.
- First to offer the IOSH Supervising Safely, (which was written by BSS and donated to IOSH).
- BSS was one of the trusted few chosen to pilot the NEBOSH International Construction Certificate in the UAE.
- BSS are extremely proud of their exceptional results and pass rate with the NEBOSH National General Certificate.
BSS is proud of their exciting development of services in the provision of Health, Safety, and Environmental, (HSE), training and consultancy. With 9 regional offices, UK, Qatar, Dubai, Yemen and China, with our two most recent offices now open in Algeria and Libya. BSS also has representative offices in Kuwait and Pakistan.
Additionally, BSS is represented on various industry bodies, and has close links with both CIEH and NEBOSH. NEBOSH revision papers and guidance is available to existing clients via the “client log in” area.
If you need support in health and safety training – in house within your organisation either in the UK or internationally, or need to attend one of our open courses please contact us.See all British Safety Services courses