- Duration: TBA
This qualification provides a basic knowledge and understanding of occupational fire safety, so preparing you to look at the conduct/ review of fire risk assessments, fire preventive and protective measures within most workplaces. It has been designed for managers, supervisors and employee representatives.
This course is targeted at delegates who have successfully completed the NEBOSH National General Certificate within the last 5 years.
Fire legislation puts the onus on employers as the responsible person to assess and respond to fire safety risks. The NEBOSH Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management will help organisations to meet their responsibilities under this legislation.
On completion of the course, delegates will be able to interpret Fire Safety Legislation and its requirements, implement an effective Fire Safety Management structure. This allows the control of major fire hazards by setting up a programme of inspections and audits, conduct of effective Fire Risk Assessments and maintenance of fire records and documentation as well as compile a suitable fire emergency plan.
Upon completion of this course, candidates will be able to:
- Understand the legal framework relating to fire and health & safety
- Appreciate the purpose and procedures of investigating fires in the workplace
- Outline the principles behind ignition and spread of fire and explosion in work premises
- Identify the causes of fire and explosion and outline appropriate control measures to minimise fire risks
- Advise on the means of fire protection and prevention of fire spread within buildings
- Advise on the development and maintenance of a fire evacuation procedure
- Use a simple fire risk assessment technique to determine risk levels and assess the adequacy of controls
The primary method of learning will be via guided study and exercises to develop the knowledge and skills required for the final assessment. Considerable use will be made of videos. Homework will be set at the end of every day, which will require 45-90 minutes study per evening. Delegates’ progress will be monitored through continuous assessment and evening work.
Each delegate will receive a course manual, which is designed to follow and complement the NEBOSH syllabus.
In addition BSS reference books will be available for individual and group work.
Introduction to Fire Safety Management, by Andrew Furness and Martin Muckett. ISBN: 978 0 7506 8068 4.
The course consists of three units, (NGC1, FC1 and FC2) each separately assessed. Students may choose to take one, two or all three units at one time.
On successful completion of each unit, a Unit Certificate will be issued. However, in order to achieve the NEBOSH Fire Safety and Risk Management Certificate qualification, students will need to pass each of the 3 units within a five-year period.
Please note students will be required to complete the practical assessment (Unit FC2) during the morning of the final day of the course.
Only delegates already holding the NEBOSH National General Certificate gained within the last 5 years will receive an exemption to Unit NGC1 examinations.
The course tutors will mark the practical risk assessment in accordance with NEBOSH criteria and NEBOSH will mark the two written papers. Results will be advised within 10 weeks of examination date by NEBOSH.
About British Safety Services
BSS is one of the leading providers of health and safety training in the UK and across the globe.
Since being the first NEBOSH accredited Training Provider to export the NEBOSH National General Certificate, NGC, outside the UK shores, (Muscat, Oman; 1993), BSS has gone on to score several other firsts;
- First to present the NGC in the Sultanate of Oman
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Algeria
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Libya
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Algeria
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in China
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Qatar for the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety
- First in Qatar to conduct the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety, with 100% pass rate, of which 7% were distinctions, 57% credits and 36% base passes
- First to Present the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety in China.
- First to offer the IOSH Supervising Safely, (which was written by BSS and donated to IOSH).
- BSS was one of the trusted few chosen to pilot the NEBOSH International Construction Certificate in the UAE.
- BSS are extremely proud of their exceptional results and pass rate with the NEBOSH National General Certificate.
BSS is proud of their exciting development of services in the provision of Health, Safety, and Environmental, (HSE), training and consultancy. With 9 regional offices, UK, Qatar, Dubai, Yemen and China, with our two most recent offices now open in Algeria and Libya. BSS also has representative offices in Kuwait and Pakistan.
Additionally, BSS is represented on various industry bodies, and has close links with both CIEH and NEBOSH. NEBOSH revision papers and guidance is available to existing clients via the “client log in” area.
If you need support in health and safety training – in house within your organisation either in the UK or internationally, or need to attend one of our open courses please contact us.See all British Safety Services courses
NEBOSH Related Questions
Unanswered //Jul 18, 2017 NEBOSH, Health and Safety