- Duration: 3 Days
This 3 day qualification is aimed at managers and supervisors and similar roles, and offers a general introduction into workplace health and safety. It is an ideal preparatory course for those intending to progress onto the NEBOSH International General Certificate.
The course is appropriate for staff that have received little or no formal, structured training, or who wish to acquire an internationally recognised qualification.
Many companies are now taking the concept of incorporating internationally recognized NEBOSH courses as an integral feature of their management development programme, with the principal objectives of increasing management awareness of its responsibility, ensuring both legal compliance and reducing the costs of accidents and ill health at work.
Upon completion of this course, candidates will be able to:
- identify common and obvious hazards in the workplace, and be able to recommend remedial actions;
- investigate accidents (including near misses), and make logical, cost-effective recommendations to prevent recurrence;
- identify the main items of health and safety legislation that apply to workplaces;;
- recognise the human and organisational problems that must be overcome to achieve a safe and healthy environment;
- use information sources to advise managers on safety matters.;
The course comprises 2 units;
Unit WHS1: Workplace Safety Foundations
- Element 1: Foundations of Health & Safety.;
- Element 2: Responsibility for Health & Safety.;
- Element 3: Health & Safety Risk Assessment and Control.;
- Element 4: Work Equipment Health & Safety.;
- Element 5: Transport Safety.;
- Element 6: Electrical Safety.;
- Element 7: Fire Safety.;
- Element 8: Manual Handling and Repetitive Activities.;
- Element 9: Hazardous Substances.;
- Element 10: Health & Safety in the Working Environment.;
- Unit WHS2: Risk Assessment Activity.;
- This involves the student conducting a risk assessment on a workplace task that with which they are familiar. A completed risk assessment will be handed in to the tutor upon course completion for marking.
- The primary method of learning will be via guided study and exercises to develop the knowledge and skills required for the final assessment.
- Considerable use will be made of videos and slide shows.
- Homework will be set at the end of every day, which will require 45-90 minutes work per evening on aspects of their risk assessment project.
- Delegates’ progress will be monitored through continuous assessment and evening work.
- All participants will be required to carry out a risk assessment of a task with which they are familiar within their workplace area, and will consider the hazards present, people affected and remedial action recommended.
- A further one hour, 40 question, multiple-choice examination will be sat on the final day.
- The pass mark on both elements of the assessment is 60% and the grade awarded is either pass or fail. Re-sits will be available for those that fail.
- The course tutors will mark the risk assessments in accordance with NEBOSH criteria and NEBOSH will mark the multiple-choice examination paper. Results will be advised within one month of the examination date by NEBOSH.
- This course is also known as NEBOSH Level 2
- Each delegate will receive a course manual, which is designed to follow and complement the NEBOSH syllabus. In addition BSS reference books will be available for individual and group work.
- Introduction to Health and Safety at Work: The Handbook for Students on NEBOSH and other Introductory Health and Safety Courses by Phil Hughes and Ed Ferrett.
- ISBN-10: 0750666234.
- This course is run in conjunction with Rapid Results College (RRC) and is also available on a day release basis, for which it is extended to 5 days
- Please feel free to call us to discuss your specific needs.
About British Safety Services
BSS is one of the leading providers of health and safety training in the UK and across the globe.
Since being the first NEBOSH accredited Training Provider to export the NEBOSH National General Certificate, NGC, outside the UK shores, (Muscat, Oman; 1993), BSS has gone on to score several other firsts;
- First to present the NGC in the Sultanate of Oman
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Algeria
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Libya
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Algeria
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in China
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Qatar for the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety
- First in Qatar to conduct the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety, with 100% pass rate, of which 7% were distinctions, 57% credits and 36% base passes
- First to Present the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety in China.
- First to offer the IOSH Supervising Safely, (which was written by BSS and donated to IOSH).
- BSS was one of the trusted few chosen to pilot the NEBOSH International Construction Certificate in the UAE.
- BSS are extremely proud of their exceptional results and pass rate with the NEBOSH National General Certificate.
BSS is proud of their exciting development of services in the provision of Health, Safety, and Environmental, (HSE), training and consultancy. With 9 regional offices, UK, Qatar, Dubai, Yemen and China, with our two most recent offices now open in Algeria and Libya. BSS also has representative offices in Kuwait and Pakistan.
Additionally, BSS is represented on various industry bodies, and has close links with both CIEH and NEBOSH. NEBOSH revision papers and guidance is available to existing clients via the “client log in” area.
If you need support in health and safety training – in house within your organisation either in the UK or internationally, or need to attend one of our open courses please contact us.See all British Safety Services courses
NEBOSH Related Questions
Unanswered //Jul 18, 2017 NEBOSH, Health and Safety