- Duration: TBA
This course in mentoring skills is a highly interactive and practical course which enables participants to develop effective mentoring tools and models for immediate application.
A particular focus on developing practical mentoring tools and techniques to provide support and structure to assist mentors with their ongoing mentoring commitments.
The program is run on adult learning principles, building on participant’s prior learning and experience. The program will contain
significant application, interaction and practice using practical workplace scenarios.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Understand the role of mentor
- Understand the benefits a mentee can expect from the mentor/mentee relationship
- Implement tools and models for mentoring
- Understand the quality and skills of a mentor
- Understand how to appropriately share knowledge and experiences
- Apply effective listening techniques
- Apply basic mentoring tools and techniques in a practical context
- Understand how to run a first mentoring session
- Develop a structure for ongoing mentoring sessions
- Structure and foster strong mentoring relationships
- Implement an action plan going forward
An Overview of Mentoring
- Definition and role of mentor; ways mentoring can be used; the qualities and skills of effective mentors; the difference between technical expertise and mentoring others (including the importance of social and emotional intelligence); the do’s and don’ts of mentoring; and differentiating mentoring from other leadership roles and conversations.
Structuring the Mentoring Relationship
- Creating a structure and setting the boundaries of the mentoring; fostering a mentoring relationship; conducting the first session; structuring the ongoing meetings; exploring what makes the mentoring relationship effective; maintaining focus and momentum.
Mentoring Models and Tools
- Simple and effective models and tools for mentoring; conversational practices for mentoring; producing learning by sharing your experience as a mentor; effective listening and questioning techniques and their application in a mentoring context; telling stories of experience, providing insight, listening, generating learning from case studies, assisting with pitfalls and drawing out learning from errors.
Mentoring Application and Practice
- Extensive mentoring application and practice are carried out in all session of this course; sample work scenarios are also provided (starting with the first session and throughout the life of the mentor/mentee relationship).
Putting it All Together
- Reflecting on learning; commitments going forward.
About BLI Consulting & Training
We_They was founded in 1988 with the aim of providing first class training and consulting services, enabling our clients to improve and sustain a valuable competitive advantage, hence, making a positive contribution towards their success. Working closely with national and multi-national companies, we offer global experience coupled with practical, local expertise.
We aim to deliver innovative yet practical business solutions, from concept formation to implementation and evaluation. BLI’s depth of service and global reach translates into seasoned knowledge for tailoring our services to our clients’ specific needs.See all BLI Consulting & Training courses