The academic faculties in the Department of Electrical Engineering possess a high level of academic qualifications spanning the most important modern areas in Electrical Engineering. In addition to undertaking active scientific research, the faculties are continuing to investigate significant issues faced by the engineering industry in the country in both public and private sectors (e.g. Telecommunications, Systems, Gas Processing, Biomedical Engineering and Energy). This on-going activity has resulted in a strong partnership between the Department and the industry. Qatar National Vision 2030 commits the country and its institutions to a number of targets in order to ensure the readiness of the industrial sectors for the challenges of sustainable economic and social development. Consequently, Qatar will witness further significant growth in all sectors related to electrical engineering, including, but not limited to, power systems, industrial control systems, medical electronics and instrumentation and telecommunication industries. Such developments need to be accompanied by an unprecedented need for applied research activities that address the new challenges through, for example, developing advanced biomedical systems, improving telecommunications infrastructure, improving energy efficiency, establishing renewable energy projects, and building smart systems for industrial control and power generation. The Master of Science in Electrical Engineering comes at an appropriate time to foster the skills and approaches necessary for addressing the ever-increasing aforementioned challenges.
The mission of the Master of Science in Electrical Engineering program in the College of Engineering is to prepare students for careers in private and public sectors and for advanced level in research that leads to high scholarly achievements, and advanced knowledge. The major emphasis of the program is to foster a deeper understanding of the engineering research process and learn the professional skills.
The structure of the Master of Science in Electrical Engineering program is unique, as it helps the engineers become more effective technical specialists, and strengthens their ability to lead people and projects. Conducting original research is an important goal of a Master program study
in the College of Engineering, Qatar University. Research provides a type of education not available through classroom teaching. The Master of Science in Electrical Engineering program is designed to enhance students' competencies in contributing to the existing body of knowledge and to innovation and creation of new knowledge. Students are expected to equip themselves with strong theoretical and methodological foundations and to develop their ability to independently conduct research.
The Master of Science in Electrical Engineering program is a challenging and rewarding way of study for a higher degree. Graduates of the Master of Science in Electrical Engineering program will be able to fulfill most of the following educational objectives (Obj):
- Obj1: Act professionally and ethically in a modern work environment through effective communication and leadership, and responsible teamwork.
- Obj2: Maintain the desire for innovation and engagement in lifelong learning in response to emerging technologies, social developments, and contemporary issues.
- Obj3: Conduct research and present results in scientific forums and contribute to the advancement of the scientific body of knowledge.
Student Learning Outcomes
By the time a student completes the requirements for the Master of Science in Electrical Engineering program, the student will have achieved the following Learning Outcomes (LOs).
- LO (1): Able to apply knowledge of mathematics and science in a creative and innovative way to design, to develop and produce useful products and/or services for society; and be able to manage these activities.
- LO (2): Able to apply knowledge of specialized Electrical engineering concepts in engineering analysis, and design in a Electrical as well as understand the impact of their engineering solutions in global and societal context. LO (3): Able to effectively communicate analysis and design ideas to peers, clients and customers.
- LO (4): Able to review, analyze, and interpret the body of scientific literature, contemporary issues and innovations in Electrical engineering area,
- LO (5): Able to apply and validate innovations and discoveries in the lab or real world settings in efficient and effective ways utilizing modern engineering tools,
- LO (6): Able to conduct and produce quality research in Electrical engineering, and understand professional and ethical responsibility.
- LO (7): Able to effectively write and present the research output in international journals, conferences, patents, research proposals and other scientific venues.
All applicants to the Master of Science in Electrical Engineering program who meet the following minimum criteria will be considered for admission to Qatar University:
- Completed a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.80 out of 4.00 from a university or college accredited by an international accrediting association or by the Ministry of Higher Education or equivalent in that country. The minimum GPA requirement might be waived if applicant achieved a score of no less than 650 on the Quantitative portion of the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE). While there is no specified minimum for the Analytical portion of the GRE exam, the score result will be considered as part of evaluation.
- Achieved a minimum score of 520 on the paper-based TOEFL or equivalent test taken within 2 years of the start of the intended semester of admission.
- Passed an interview with the College’s admission panel. The panel may request additional bridging course(s).
All applicants to the Master of Science in Electrical Engineering program are required to submit the following documents to the Admissions Department:
- Complete Admissions Application and signature page
- Final and official university transcripts
- Official GRE score report if submitting GRE scores
- Official TOEFL or equivalent score report
- Two letters of recommendation from undergraduate professors or employers
- Health Certificate
- Photocopy of the applicant’s Qatar ID card (Non-Qatari applicants must provide a copy of their passport)
- Two recent passport sized photographs
About College of Engineering
We_They will be recognized in the region for its outstanding education, research and community engagement, and for the quality of its socially responsible graduates.See all College of Engineering courses