- Locations: Al Tarfa
- Duration: 2 Years
As Qatar enters next phase of large scale development, the economical use of construction resources and technologies and the development of sustainable designs and materials will be of prime importance to a sustainable management of civil engineering structures. Research opportunities for a Master of Science in Civil Engineering program will be generated by the current faculty research work in structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, civil engineering materials, and water resources.
The mission of the Master of Science in Civil Engineering program in the College of Engineering is to prepare students for careers in private and public sectors and for advanced level in research that leads to high scholarly achievements, and advanced knowledge. The major emphasis of the program is to foster a deeper understanding of the engineering research process and learn the professional skills.
The structure of the Master of Science in Civil Engineering program is unique, as it helps the engineers become more effective technical specialists, and strengthens their ability to lead people and projects. Conducting original research is an important goal of a Master program study in the College of Engineering, Qatar University. Research provides a type of education not available through classroom teaching. The Master of Science in Civil Engineering program is designed to enhance students' competencies in contributing to the existing body of knowledge and to innovation and creation of new knowledge. Students are expected to equip themselves with strong theoretical and methodological foundations and to develop their ability to independently conduct research.
The Master of Science in Civil Engineering program is a challenging and rewarding way of study for a higher degree. Graduates of the Master of Science in Civil Engineering program will be able to fulfill most of the following educational objectives (Obj):
- Obj1: Act professionally and ethically in a modern work environment through effective communication and leadership, and responsible teamwork.
- Obj2: Maintain the desire for innovation and engagement in lifelong learning in response to emerging technologies, social developments, and contemporary issues.
- Obj3: Conduct research and present results in scientific forums and contribute to the advancement of the scientific body of knowledge.
Student Learning Outcomes
By the time a student completes the requirements for the Master of Science in Civil Engineering program, the student will have achieved the following Learning Outcomes (LOs).
- LO (1): Able to apply knowledge of mathematics and science in a creative and innovative way to design, to develop and produce useful products and/or services for society; and be able to manage these activities.
- LO (2): Able to apply knowledge of specialized civil engineering concepts in engineering analysis, and design in a civil as well as understand the impact of their engineering solutions in global and societal context.
- LO (3): Able to effectively communicate analysis and design ideas to peers, clients and customers.
- LO (4): Able to review, analyze, and interpret the body of scientific literature, contemporary issues and innovations in civil engineering area,
- LO (5): Able to apply and validate innovations and discoveries in the lab or real world settings in efficient and effective ways utilizing modern engineering tools,
- LO (6): Able to conduct and produce quality research in civil engineering, and understand professional and ethical responsibility.
- LO (7): Able to effectively write and present the research output in international journals, conferences, patents, research proposals and other scientific venues.
About College of Engineering
We_They will be recognized in the region for its outstanding education, research and community engagement, and for the quality of its socially responsible graduates.See all College of Engineering courses