This course is for experienced project professionals with a minimum of five years’ exposure to project management. However, this course is also suitable for junior professionals responsible for the risk management of major projects, as it requires an understanding of the integrated environment of major capital investment projects.
The Managing Opportunity and Project Risk course targets individuals who have had sufficient exposure to risk management in a project environment and it will be assumed that they have a basic knowledge of risk management practices.
What You Will Learn
On the Managing Opportunity and Project Risk course you will learn to identify and manage project risks in order to enhance your skills in an environment of uncertainty, in which both upside and downside risks are addressed. This course uses proven methodologies for the identification, evaluation, reporting and management of risks in the context of project development and execution. It also addresses the impact of human influences and attitudes (including stakeholder expectations, assumptions and constraints) on the decision-making process, during the various phases of a project. Risk responses and probabilistic techniques for dealing with cost and schedule uncertainty are also addressed in this module in light of upside and downside risks. The course also explores time, cost and other project attribute trade-offs when determining appropriate risk responses.
- Analyse sources of uncertainty that arise from a broad spectrum of internal and external influences on a project and their contexts
- Understand the nature of uncertainty and risk, and its impact on individuals and groups, to foster an environment within project teams that support appropriate risk taking
- Manage the process of risk attribution in uncertain events, while balancing upside and downside risks, to ensure a sound basis on which risks are managed across a project life cycle
- Ensure pragmatic decision-making by trading-off either time, cost, quality and other project attributes in relation to risks, in order to enhance project performance
- Ensure risks are managed across all disciplines
- Develop approaches that foster a culture of appropriate risk taking
- Facilitated workshops, dynamic discussions and learner presentations, delivered to professionals of diverse backgrounds.
We_They, which means Excellence in Arabic, is a successful partnership between Qatar Shell, Qatar Petroleum, and Hamad Bin Khalifa University.
The unparalleled capital investment programme currently underway in Qatar brings with it various challenges, many of which can only be overcome through greater efficiency and sharpened project management skills. TAFAWOQ was initiated to answer this needSee all Tawafoq courses