- Locations: Lebanon
- Duration: 2 Years
The M.A. program in Applied Economics at Adnan Kassar School of Business provides prospective students with a solid background in economic theory and applied quantitative methods. The program provides a rigorous treatment of economic methods and policies preparing future professionals for jobs as applied economists in the private and public sectors.The program is also designed to be an intermediate step to the Ph.D. in Economics or related fields.
The program consists of 30 credits with core courses emphasizing advanced microeconomics, macroeconomics, econometrics and quantitative methods.A selection of diverse topics totaling 12 credits constitute the elective component. The topic courses survey current policy issues in local, regional and international contexts..
The program includes a 3-credit capstone project that involves work outside LAU with external parties (banks, research institutes, specialized regional and international organizations and agencies).
The project will be supervised by a faculty member from the Department of Economics during the last semester.
- Holders of a bachelor’s degree in economics, in any related field (such as finance) or in a quantitative field (mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, etc.) are eligible to apply.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. Students applying from majors other than economics will be required to take upper division remedial courses based on their undergraduate background.
- GRE scores are not required for fall 2015, but they will become a requirement in spring 2016.
Plan of study
- Advanced Macroeconomics
- Advanced Microeconomics
- Applied Econometrics I
- Applied Econometrics II
- Mathematical Methods for Applied Economics
- Environmental and Resource Economics
- International Monetary Theory and Policy
- Public Economics
- Growth, Business Cycles and Economic Policy
- Special Topics in Economics
- Economic Policies in the Middle Eas
- Challenges of Economic Development in the Middle East
- Financial Management
- Financial Derivatives
- Modern Portfolio Management
- Commercial Bank Management
Applied Economics Project
- The Department of Economics in Beirut is currently accepting Graduate Assistantship applications for current and new students in the M.A. in Applied Economics and the Economics of the Middle East (EMEA) programs for Fall 2015.
- Graduate Assistantship (GA) is intended to enhance students’ educational experiences, through providing academic services to their department/school, such as teaching and research. In return, a percentage of their tuition fees is waived.
About Lebanese American University
The Lebanese American University is a leading, nonsectarian, private higher education institution in Lebanon. It operates under a charter from the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.See all Lebanese American University courses