- Locations: Knowledge Village
- Duration: 2 Days
- Timings Flexible
This practical course integrates project management fundamentals with leading people principles. This learning solution analyzes quality engagement performance through effective planning and control while also examining techniques to deliver results through and with people.
The course flow starts with a process orientation and an analytical, systems-oriented approach to initiating, estimating and controlling. It stresses the need for collaboration and clear communications among people, even from different teams. You will practice a number of critical skills for managing relationships and learn to understand the impact of accountability and trust.
The focus is on the potential for success when proper collaboration is achieved. You will participate in a performance-focused setting designed to elicit maximum interaction, and to invite and challenge everyone to see and act differently. By exploring concepts with your fellow learners within a safe environment, you will be able to develop and sharpen your skills.
Who is this Course for?
Those participating on or leading projects.
Day 1 - Leading Projects
- Welcome and Introductions
- Course structure
- Course goals and objectives
- Small Group Discussion: Current Project Effectiveness - Current Issues and Challenges
- Fundamental Project Management concepts
- Processing Groups and Project Life Cycles
- Knowledge Areas
- Competing Demands
- What is a Project Plan?
- Mix & Match Exercise:
- Identify your project lifecycle and key deliverables
- Align current tools to PM Fundamentals (why use it) and your project lifecycle (when to use them)
- Defining and prioritizing requirements
- Small Group Exercise: Create a scope document that links requirements
- Establishing change control and escalation processes
- Managing stakeholder expectations
- Value Benefit Realization
- Anticipating Needs
- Responding to Scope Change Requests
- Small Group Exercise: Stakeholder Assessment and Prioritizing Requirements
Deliverables Definition, Scheduling and Tracking
- Best Practices in Defining Deliverables - Using a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM)
- Exercise - Building an Engagement WBS and Mapping Deliverables to Roles and Responsibilities
- Monitoring and Controlling
- Small Group Discussion: Current Project Effectiveness - Best Practices & Opportunities for Improvement
Day 2 - Leading People
- Exercise: Tallest Tower
- Debrief: Team roles, responsibilities and interdependencies
- Exercise: Effective Leaders - Key Characteristics and Impact
- Why people follow others
- Exercise: Compare Characteristics of a Dysfunctional versus High Performing Team
- Discussion: How to create team culture?
- Team Work and High Performing Team Model
- Accountability Model
- Power of Diversity
Core Communication Skills
- Exercise: Communication Preferences
- Communications model - Sender/Receiver
- Essential Communication Skills
- Difficult Conversations
- Exercise: Practicing Effective Communication Skills
- Exercise: Techniques for Building Rapport
- Sensitivity to Others
- Ladder of Judgment
- Exercise: Power of Recognition
Effectively Delegating and Escalating
- Delegating Approaches
- Expectancy Theory
- Exercise: Role Play
Recap & Closing
- Exercise: Workshop Force Field Analysis
- Reflection: Personal Force Field Analysis
About International Institute for Learning, Inc
About International Institute for Learning, Inc. (IIL)
With a wholly-owned network of operating companies all over the world and clients in more than 150 countries, IIL is a global leader in training and certification, coaching and mentoring, consulting and customized course development. Our core competencies include: Project, Program and Portfolio Management; Business Analysis; Lean Six Sigma and Process Excellence; Agile; ITIL ; Leadership and Interpersonal Skills.
Using our proprietary Many Methods of Learning™, IIL delivers innovative, effective and consistent training solutions through a variety of learning approaches: Virtual, Traditional Classroom, On-Demand, Mobile, Video and Simulation. As a PMI Global Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.); a member of PMI's Global Executive Council; an APMG Accredited Training Organization (ATO) for PRINCE2 , ITIL , and others; a Microsoft Partner (with a Microsoft Gold Project and Portfolio Management competency); and an IIBA Endorsed Education Provider (EEP™), IIL is the training solution partner of choice for many top global companies.See all International Institute for Learning, Inc courses