IELTS (The International English Language Testing System) is a test format jointly owned by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment. It assesses the English language proficiency of candidates who aspire to study or work in countries where English is the primary language of communication. The IELTS test is conducted in over 900 locations in the world and in about 50 cities in India and all major cities in Middle East (there are test centres for IELTS in Kuwait as well)
The test is offered in two formats- 'Academic' and 'General Training'. The Academic format is suitable for candidates seeking admissions in universities or institutions of higher education. The IELTS test score is one of the criteria used by Universities/Institutions in offering admissions to international students in undergraduate and post graduate courses. The General Training format tests basic survival and communications skills and measures English proficiency in a practical everyday context. It is often a mandatory visa requirement for those seeking to emigrate to English speaking countries, including Australia, New Zealand and the UK. It is typically given by those planning to pursue secondary education, training or employment in English speaking countries.
What is the difference between the two test formats?
All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking modules but different Reading and Writing modules differ.
The IELTS test comprises of four sections- Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. The Listening and Speaking tests are the same for all candidates while the Reading and Writing tests differ for Academic and GT versions of the IELTS. The test is scored out of 9 with 9 being the highest attainable score and 0 being the lowest.
How is the IELTS scored?
The IELTS test is scored from 0-9. Requirement for score is different depending on the university or country requirements. Each band corresponds to a level of English competence. All parts of the test and the Overall Band Score can be reported in whole and half bands, eg 6.5, 7.0, 7.5, 8.0.
- Band 9: Expert user: has fully operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding.
- Band 8: Very good user: has fully operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.
- Band 7: Good user: has operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.
- Band 6: Competent user: has generally effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.
- Band 5: Modest user: has partial command of the language, coping with overall meaning in most situations, though is likely to make many mistakes. Should be able to handle basic communication in own field.
- Band 4: Limited user: basic competence is limited to familiar situations. Has frequent problems in understanding and expression. Is not able to use complex language.
- Band 3: Extremely limited user: conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations. Frequent breakdowns in communication occur.
- Band 2: Intermittent user: no real communication is possible except for the most basic information using isolated words or short formulae in familiar situations and to meet immediate needs. Has great difficulty understanding spoken and written English.
- Band 1: Non-user: essentially has no ability to use the language beyond possibly a few isolated words.
- Band 0: Did not attempt the test: No assessable information provided
We are the world's leading IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test preparation service provider. Our IELTS training and IELTS preparation courses provide the best guidance in IELTSTest. To get into the best schools in the US and elsewhere, our IELTS course is preferred by thousands of students for IELTS test preparations in Middle East & Western India because of its highly acknowledged IELTS prep techniques, material and highly qualified and certified IELTS trainers. Personalized IELTS coaching classes cater to subject-specific strengths and weaknesses of students. With our scientific approach in conducting diagnostic tests and mentoring students according to their individual strengths and weaknesses, our IELTS coaching methods are proven to be one of the best IELTS prep courses by the thousands of students who have cracked the IELTS Test.
About Score Plus Kuwait
Founded in 2002, Score Plus has become a trusted name in the Arabian Peninsula and Western India for high quality educational services in collaboration with leading international educational companies from North America and Europe. With a passion for excellence in education, Score Plus has shaped lives and careers of thousands of students at 15 learning centers across Middle East and Western India in the 13 years of its existence.
At Score Plus, students are able to realize their potential and achieve their dreams. With this as our core philosophy grounded by focus in academic excellence, technological innovation, and deep-rooted subject expertise built over decades internationally, Score Plus has diversified and successfully established itself as a household name in the pan Indo-Arabian region. Score Plus specializes in test preparation and admissions counseling for higher education to aspiring students of all levels of academic qualification, academic tutoring for K-12 school learners and vocational and language training for individuals across various age-groups and economic sectors.
Why Score Plus?
With our mission statement as Better Scores, Better Schools and Better Careers, Score Plus is committed to delivering educational services to parents and students with highest level of personal and professional under-takings by a qualified team of teachers, counselors and administrators. We have an international reputation for excellence and integrity in our innovative teaching practices, effective international learning materials, structured testing methodologies and personalized counseling processes that address every student’s learning needs, test-taking abilities, and skills and personal development.
Score Plus is the Middle-Eastern and Indian partner of The Princeton Review (TPR), the world’s leading test preparation service provider for SAT, SAT Subject Tests, ACT, AP subject, GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, USMLE, TOEFL and IELTS programs and one of the top global publishers of a series of college guide books. TPR is a US based company listed established in 1981 and is currently a premium global brand with a strong presence in 41 USA states and 30 countries.See all Score Plus Kuwait courses