Learn the basics of manual and computerised bookkeeping
If you have always been interested in organising your own finances or helping others get their accounts in order, bookkeeping can make for a dynamic and rewarding career, offering flexibility, variety and excellent returns.
The IAB Foundation Bookkeeping course combines two IAB level 1 bookkeeping qualifications:
- The IAB Level 1 Award in Bookkeeping (QCF: 601/0470/3)
- The IAB Level 1 Award in Computerised Bookkeeping (QCF: 500/9405/1).
If you are looking to master the basics of bookkeeping, the IAB Foundation Bookkeeping course is the perfect spring board into this rewarding career.
You will learn how to maintain customer and supplier accounts, create invoices, run financial reports, and confidently navigate Sage, the world's most popular computerised accounting software, in a profesisonal capacity.
Learn computerised bookkeeping skills with Sage One
Sage software is a comprehensive financial management system that provides valuable information about customers, suppliers, products and areas of profitability within the business.
Sage One allows you to access your accounts online anywhere and at any time from any device; giving you the freedom to work when and where you want.
Our IAB bookkeeping courses include Sage One Accounts Extra, the online software designed for businesses that need more from their accounting software. Sage One Accounts Extra allows you to control shared accounts data, manage trading abroad and extract data for management accounting purposes.
How to gain the IAB Level 1 Award in Bookkeeping
Students will work through the IAB Level 1 course online on our award winning VLC (Virtual Learning Campus) our fantastic online learning platform which ensures Students succeed, with the ability to study online, on any device, wherever and whenever suits them. Online learning allows you to gain a professional qualification around work, family and other important commitments and offers a flexibility that is simply not available from traditional colleges.
The VLC is filled with a huge range of resources and engaging content and we make sure our course materials cater to all learning styles to give all our students the best chance of success. The campus holds videos, interactive quizzes, live online classes- with Tutor and peer interaction, case studies, E-books, practice tests, online chat box for Tutor contact, student forums, plus our Career Management Hub offers students recent industry news, CV advice, interview simulators, expert video tips and recruitment help.
Our online IAB courses enable you to fit your studies around existing commitments, including family life or running a business.
The IAB Foundation Bookkeeping course consists of ten units in total - eight for the manual bookkeeping Award and two for the computerised bookkeeping Award:
- Unit 1: Introduction to bookkeeping (1 credit)
- Unit 2: Working within bookkeeping (2 credits)
- Unit 3: Banking procedures (1 credit)
- Unit 4: Recording receipts and payments (1 credit)
- Unit 5: Recording and processing bookkeeping documents (1 credit)
- Unit 6: Recording credit transactions (1 credit)
- Unit 7: Making and receiving payments (1 credit)
- Unit 8: Maintaining petty cash records (1 credit)
- Unit 9: Recording routine bookkeeping transactions using a computerised system (2 credits)
- Unit 10: Preparing and recording sales and purchase documents using a computerised system (2 credits).
- Two recognised qualifications: IAB Level 1 Award in Bookkeeping & IAB Level 1 Award in Computerised Bookkeeping
- Level 1 - comparable to studying at pre-GCSE level
- Accredited by the International Association of Book-keepers (IAB) and Sage
- QCF accredited: units made up of credit values, recognised by the Government approved regulating body OFQUAL
- Six months' typical completion time
- Ten units - eight making up the manual bookkeeping Award and two making up the computerised bookkeeping Award
- Assessed by: three knowledge tests, one assignment and two exams.
What is Included?
- High quality course books, available in eBook format
- 24 hour access to our Virtual Learning Campus
- Student membership with the IAB for the duration of your course
- Full tutorial support via phone, email and online forums
- Regular live online classes from your tutor
- Sage One Accounts Extra*
- Exam fees and exclusive exam booking service.
There are no formal entry requirements for the IAB Foundation Bookkeeping course, but it is recommend that you have basic qualifications in English and Mathematics.
Before you enrol on any Home Learning College course, please ensure that you have read and understood the further pre-entry requirements below:
- You have a valid UK address (students outside the UK will receive an additional postage charge)
- You are over the age of 18 or have a third party payee for any financial agreement
- You have a solid grasp of the English language - if English is not your first language an IELTS 5.5 is required
- You have access to a computer and the internet throughout your study period
- You have basic computer skills in order to navigate our Virtual Learning Campus
- You are fully committed to your studies.
Talk to one of our Course Advisors to find out about possible exemptions for this course.
Did you know that one of the most common challenges people face in pursuing education is the cost? That is why Home Learning College has developed the most flexible payment terms of any other UK distance learning provider. You can pay in full immediately or split your course fees over three instalments at no extra charge.
Alternatively you can apply for our 12, 18 or 24 months payment plans*. Representative APR 19.9%. These plans are offered by our finance provider Omni Capital, take a look at a representative APR Example. Speak to one of our Course Advisors for further details.
What is the IAB Qualification?
The International Association of Book-keepers (IAB) is the leading UK and international professional body for those providing bookkeeping and payroll services to small businesses. IAB qualifications are approved by the government regulating body (OFQUAL) and are recognised and respected across the world.
A recognised IAB bookkeeping qualification allows you to progress to further study with more advanced bookkeeping and accounting professional bodies such as the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
With IAB on your CV, you will demonstrate a level of excellence and work-readiness sought after by employers. Our practical, industry-focussed courses enable you to manage finances, budgets and cash flow effectively and play a key role in business growth.
With an active online community of over 20,000 students, we are the UK’s largest distance learning provider for professional qualifications. We bring enterprising professionals together to boost their careers with industry recognised, accredited qualifications. Our online training courses are the UK’s choice for professional learning at home, tailored around work and lifestyle. Our purpose is to provide a flexible study framework whereby students can study towards recognised professional qualifications around work and other commitments, and go on to achieve their professional goals.
We provide professionals with the skills they need for a successful career; offer our academic partners a means by which they can deliver cutting edge industry relevant training programmes; and provide employers with highly trained, capable employees needed to boost their long-term profitability and growth; thus playing a part in driving future economic growth. We are a leader in the professional online learning space, and we aim to always keep the student at the heart of what we do.See all Home Learning college courses