- Locations: Sharq
- Duration: 18 Months
- The program is organized to provide training and clinical experience to create competent consultants in hepatologv.
- The length of training is 18 months, which can be extended to three years if the candidate wishes to do luminal gastroenterolgv as well.
- Trainees will be given the opportunity to assume continuous responsibility for the care of patients with a variety of hepatobiliary disorders.
- Mechanisms of disease processes as well as the clinical manifestations and therapy will be emphasized.
- Appropriate and cost effective utilization of the laboratory and other resources will be stressed.
- To know how new knowledge in hepatologv is acquired, the trainee should participate in at least two research projects.
- Experience with liver transplant patients is an essential part of training.
Pre-Requisites for acceptance in the Fellowship Program
The applicant for the fellowship should have at least one of the following credentials:
- Board certification in internal medicine by the Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization.
- Membership of one of the Royal colleges of Medicine.
- Board certification by the American or Canadian Colleges of Medicine.
A. Fundamental Knowledge:
Anatomy and embryology of the liver
Physiology of the liver
- Bilirubin metabolism
- Bile salt metabolism
- Drug metabolism
- Regulation of hepatic blood flow.
Natural history, diagnosis, differential diagnosis, prevention and treatment of hepatobiliary disease including:
- Viral Hepatitis
- Fulminant Hepatic Failure
- Complications of chronic liver disease i.e. ascites, hepatic encephalopathy, and variceal hemorrhage.
- Gall stones and their complications
- Pregnancy related liver disease
- Metabolic liver diseases (Wilsons, hemo chromata sis, alfa-1-antitryp sin deficiency)
- Drug induced liver injury
- Pre-and post-operative evaluation of patients with hepatobiliary dysfunction
Treatment of chronic liver disease
- Selection and long term care of liver transplant patients
B. Procedural skills:
- Percutaneous liver biopsy
- Upper abdominal ultrasound
- The fellow should have successfully completed of training in clinical hepatology.
- The fellow should pass the written certifying examinations (see above)
- A final written and oral examination will be conducted at the end of the fellowship. External examiners will be invited to participate in the examination.
About Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization
KIMS was established under a decree issued by HH the Amir of Kuwait. The institute is engaged in a variety of activities, including the organization of internship training of pre-registration medical graduates, specialty training at various levels in different medical fields, and continuing medical education programs for health professionals practicing in Kuwait.See all Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization courses