- Duration 18 Months
- Locations Sharq
- The program is organized to provide training and clinical experience to create competent consultants in hepatologv.
- The length of training is 18 months, which can be extended to three years if the candidate wishes to do luminal gastroenterolgv as well.
- Trainees will be given the opportunity to assume continuous responsibility for the care of patients with a variety of hepatobiliary disorders.
- Mechanisms of disease processes as well as the clinical manifestations and therapy will be emphasized.
- Appropriate and cost effective utilization of the laboratory and other resources will be stressed.
- To know how new knowledge in hepatologv is acquired, the trainee should participate in at least two research projects.
- Experience with liver transplant patients is an essential part of training.
Pre-Requisites for acceptance in the Fellowship Program
The applicant for the fellowship should have at least one of the following credentials:
- Board certification in internal medicine by the Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization.
- Membership of one of the Royal colleges of Medicine.
- Board certification by the American or Canadian Colleges of Medicine.
A. Fundamental Knowledge:
Anatomy and embryology of the liver
Physiology of the liver
- Bilirubin metabolism
- Bile salt metabolism
- Drug metabolism
- Regulation of hepatic blood flow.
Natural history, diagnosis, differential diagnosis, prevention and treatment of hepatobiliary disease including:
- Viral Hepatitis
- Fulminant Hepatic Failure
- Complications of chronic liver disease i.e. ascites, hepatic encephalopathy, and variceal hemorrhage.
- Gall stones and their complications
- Pregnancy related liver disease
- Metabolic liver diseases (Wilsons, hemo chromata sis, alfa-1-antitryp sin deficiency)
- Drug induced liver injury
- Pre-and post-operative evaluation of patients with hepatobiliary dysfunction
Treatment of chronic liver disease
- Selection and long term care of liver transplant patients
B. Procedural skills:
- Percutaneous liver biopsy
- Upper abdominal ultrasound
- The fellow should have successfully completed of training in clinical hepatology.
- The fellow should pass the written certifying examinations (see above)
- A final written and oral examination will be conducted at the end of the fellowship. External examiners will be invited to participate in the examination.
KIMS was established under a decree issued by HH the Amir of Kuwait. The institute is engaged in a variety of activities, including the organization of internship training of pre-registration medical graduates, specialty training at various levels in different medical fields, and continuing medical education programs for health professionals practicing in Kuwait.See all Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization courses