Graphic Designers consult with clients to establish the nature and the content of designs and illustrations for reproduction; they determine the best medium to produce the desired visual effects and the most appropriate methods of communication. They prepare sketches, photographs, and illustrations, using traditional tools as well as multimedia software and image processing, layout, animation and design software.
Graphic designers work for advertising and graphic design firms, multimedia production companies, and other organizations with communications or advertising departments. Graphic designers and illustrating artists may also be self-employed.
The graphic designers practice some or all the following functions:
- Consult clients to determine the nature and content of the drawings and illustrations to be produced.
- Determine the most appropriate means to produce the wanted visual effect and the required communication method.
- Prepare sketches, photographs and illustrations using traditional tools and multimedia means, as well as image processing for layout and drawing.
- Set the specifications and evaluate the materials costs as well as the time necessary for the execution of the graphic and illustration method.
- Produce the final form of the illustrations and drawings or monitor the other graphic designers; illustrators and graphic arts technicians.
The graphic and advertising designers can be specialized in one particular type of illustration such as the children illustration, publicity, humorous, medical and multimedia graphics.