- Price TBA
- Duration 1 Year
- Locations Bray Institute of Further Education Novara Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow
This course equips learners with the essential skills of furniture design and making. It is a practical course which uses both hands tools and machinery. Each student has the opportunity to develop design, CAD and drawing skills so they can produce their own unique pieces of furniture. Learners will have access to a design studio, a well-equipped woodwork room and workshop. This award provides a link to Woodworking, Design and Technology programmes in Ireland and the United Kingdom through the CAO and UCAS systems. All learners exhibit their work at the end-of-year Art & Design Exhibition in the Institute.
Programme of Study
- Furniture Making Drawing
- Veneers & Marquetry
- Wood Turning
- Appreciation of Art Craft and Design
- Computer Aided Design
- Work Experience
Components subject to change
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a merit profile
- Full QQI Level 4 Award with a merit profile
- Mature Applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview.
- Cabinet Making
- CAD/CAM Engineer
- Machinery Technician
- Product Designer
Higher education progression*
- Product Design (DT001);
- Timber Product Technology (DT169);
- Architectural Technology(DT175)
- Product Design (LY417)
- Furniture Making&Restoration(QQILevel6)
- QQI Level 5 Award in Furniture Design (5M2012)
Bray Institute of Further Education (BIFE) caters for learners with a wide variety of needs - from those who want to do University Degrees at hontheirs level to those who are training for employment.
They are located on Novara Avenue, Bray; 150 metres from the town centre and within walking distance of the Dart station. The Institute is just a short jtheirney from Dublin City Centre.
Bray Institute of Further Education has been a centre of excellence in the field of Further Education for the past twenty-five years serving all areas of the country including Dublin.
BIFE is a constituent Institute of Kildare / Wicklow Education Training Board (KWETB).
They offer a wide range of Further Education (PLC) ctheirses both full and part-time at the Institute.See all Bray Institute of Further Education courses