Process engineering is at the heart of much of the chemical, oil, gas, and petrochemical industries. It requires familiarity not only with chemical engineering principles, but also with many of the other engineering disciplines including mechanical, electrical and instrumentation. The process engineer is interested in the transportation and transformation of solids, liquids and gases. Of specific importance are separation processes including distillation, heat transfer, hydraulics and fluid flow, reaction engineering, but also process control and economics.
This seminar focuses on the central areas of process engineering and guides the delegates in developing both fundamental and practical understandings of key issues. Workshop examples will be drawn from the oil and gas processing, petrochemicals and chemical manufacturing industries.
Technical and non-technical personnel in the chemical, petrochemical, oil and process industries with a need to understand and discuss fundamental process engineering issues. These will include petroleum engineers, production engineers, trainee process engineers, R&D chemists, plant chemists, plant operators and economists. Case studies and examples will cover a range of levels, making the course also suitable non-technical staff.
In addition to formal lectures and discussions, the delegates will learn by active participation through the use of problem-solving exercises, group discussions, analysis of real-life case studies, and industry best practices.
Upon completion of this workshop, the delegates will develop both fundamental and practical understanding of central issues in processes used in oil, gas, petrochemical, chemical, and allied facilities.
The seminar provides a practical introduction to the fundamentals of process engineering thereby developing perspective and focus from a company viewpoint.
The Core Competencies
Key competencies include practical understanding of essential process units and classes of units involved in separations, heat exchange, and reactions as well as hydraulics and fluid flow. Delegates will be able to perform relevant calculations and analyses to assist in operation, sizing, and troubleshooting.
The Conference Content
Introduction and Fundamentals of Process Engineering
- Process engineering basics
- Mass and energy balances
- Batch and continuous processes
- Reactor types
- Process equipment and flow diagrams
- Electrical area classification
- Risk Management and Hazard Studies
- Hydraulics and Fluid flow
- Pressure and head
- Bernoulli's theorem and its field applications
- Flow of liquids
- Reynolds number and pressure drop in pipes
- Two-phase and multi-phase flow
- Enthalpy and thermodynamics
- Principle of process relief devices and process design of relief systems
- Principles of pressure vessel and piping design
- Mechanical Equipment - Types and application guidelines
Heat Transfer and Reaction Engineering
- Heat Transfer
- Thermal conductivity
- Conduction and convection
- Heat transfer coefficients and calculation
- Heat exchangers, type and sizing
- Steam reboilers
- Condensers and sub-cooling
- Introduction to energy recovery
- Catalysis and Reaction Engineering
- Chemical reactions
- Reaction kinetics
- Introduction catalysis
- Green Chemistry and Engineering
- Reactor Design and Operation
Distillation Processes and Equipment
- Distillation basics
- Phase behavior and vapor/liquid equilibria
- Gas/Liquid separation
- Distillation equipment - Columns and vessels
- Columns and vessels - Sizing and selection guidelines
- Column and vessel internals - Types and selection guidelines
- Troubleshooting of process equipment
Separation Processes and Equipment
- Overview of Other Separation Processes
- Absorption and adsorption
- Amine sweetening
- Solid Liquid separation
- Effluent treatment [in refinery and petrochemical] industries
Process Control and Economics
- Process Control Basics
- Classification of control systems
- Measured variables
- Simple feedback control
- Process Economics
- Preliminary economic analysis
- Fixed and variable costs, break even analysis
- Calculating raw materials usage
- Estimating the cost of process equipment and plants
The adage that “knowledge” is power holds very true in this industry. In order to maximize results we are constantly updating and upgrading ourselves. This commitment to ongoing skills development is one of the reasons we are success, the belief that there is a “better way to do things” is what motivates us each and every day. By aligning with us you are going to benefit from our years of expertise in real world scenarios. Classroom learning is great but there is no substitute to real world experience which is what we are bringing to the table.
Billionaire investor Warren Buffett said “price is what you pay but quality is what you get” and that expression is very true. With use we understand that your time is very valuable and you only want the best and most current industry related knowledge which is what we bring to the table. Instead of giving you massive amounts of inaccurate or outdated information you get precisely what you want, the most current knowledge so you can make truly informed decisions that will directly impact productivity and your bottom line. When results are what you are looking for then the choice is clear, we are your partners in success.
Technology has revolutionized the way knowledge is disseminated in throughout the world, what use to take months or even years to reach the masses can be done in a few hours ! In order to remain relevant and viable we need to embrace innovations. The challenge with innovation is knowing when to implement it and what type of return you can expect from it. Instead of risking your time and resources we have the answers for you, Since we are at the vanguard of the industry whenever there is a fruitful innovation we will be there providing you with the information needed to make the right decision.
We understand you may have unique need so we provide a tailored made (bespoke for our U.K. friends) approach that will address your questions in the most conducive manner possible. Respect to us means putting your interests, your needs at the forefront of our mind. You will see how genuine we are and that you not just “some customer” you are our partner in success just as much as we are your partner in success. We firmly believe in the “golden rule”, treat others with graciousness, courtesy and respect. Come experience the difference that quality and respect makes and you will truly be amazed.