Course detailsSection 1 - Fashion Illustration 160 hrs (8 weeks)
SEEING THE FIGURE AS FAMILIAR SHAPES/PROPORTION
- Breaking the figure down into simple shapes
- Fleshing out the figure
- Students will learn how to render the figure in color and apply a light source (shadow). Skin tones and hair rendering will be studied and executed in both realism and stylization.
- Ruching, ruffles, drape
- Fabric texture and hand
- Utilizing gouache, markers and colored pencils, students will learn to render fabrics accurately, including prints in actual scale.
- Houndstooth, tweed, pinstripes
- Prints, both geometric and floral
- Students will create professional fashion drawings and learn how to create a professional layout of a collection with technical drawings and fabrications, as well as a collection and designer statement.
Section 2 - Creative Design
PRINCIPLES OF DESIGN
- 7 silhouettes in fashion
- Hand/Fabrics/ Weights /Seasonality/Prints and Print Matching
- 5:8 proportion/ Golden Mean
- Rhythm/ Balance- symmetrical/asymmetrical
- Equal and unequal rhythm
- Continuous line movement
- Recognize and identify garment styles, names, and fashion terminology
- Build a collection concept
- Learn effective types of research
- Create a Brand Matrix and customer profile
- Build a mood board for a collection
- Research and design for a target market/demographic.
- Research textile trade shows (Premiere Vision)
- Understand fabric agents and the role of sourcing
- Create a cohesive fabric story
- Learn how to select appropriate fabrics for seasons and mood, and be able to swatch a collection
- Create and hand render technical drawings for specification packages and line sheets
- Work from spec library to create new styles
- Learn correct names and pronunciations in the fashion industry, including designers
- Learn how to bring all the elements of the fashion cycle together and create and draw a 40-piece cohesive collection specific to your own designer niche
Eligibility / Requirements
No prior experience required to take this course.
Job titles this course is suitable for
This 16-week comprehensive course is tailored to fashion-focused students who want to develop their design skills and is taught by top industry experts. Learn how to conceive, conceptualize and create a full fashion collection for industry presentation. Using fashion illustration techniques, you will gain skills in drawing the fashion figure, and be able to illustrate your designs on high fashion croquis, utilizing multimedia tools to implement color into the sketch. The entire fashion cycle and design process will be explored from conception, research, customer profile, and mood, to inspiration and execution. To complete the creative design process, a final 40-look collection, specific to each designer’s unique point of view, will be created in full color, with fabric swatches and technical flat drawings, presented in a professional portfolio. This course consists of Section 1 – Illustration and Section 2 – Creative Design.
Job roles this course is suitable for:Fashion Designer,Fashion Illustrator
About The Cut Fashion Academy
Welcome to The Cutting Room. Where Style is Made.
We’re in the business of turning fashion dreams into a reality. Offering an array of continuing education fashion design courses as well as production services for designers and brands, we are your one-stop-shop for all of your production and educational needs.
Enquire about this course
You may add more courses here,
your list will be saved.