- Duration: 4 Years
The specialty of family medicine:
- Family medicine is an academic and scientific discipline, with its own educational content, research, evidence base and clinical activity, and is a clinical specialty orientated to primary care.
- Family Practice is a distinct medical discipline; doctors who intend to become family practitioners require a period of special professional preparation. Specialist Vocational Training is just one phase, but a crucial one, in a continuous process of professional education and training.
- It builds on and complements undergraduate education and general professional training, ensures the acquisition of certain crucial and relevant competences, and lays a sound foundation for further Professional Development.
Aims of the Kuwait Family Practice Training Programme
- To improve the quality of patient care within the setting of primary health care in Kuwait.
- To enhance the level of competence in Kuwaiti doctors, enabling them to be abreast of the developments in medical specialties and patient management.
- To provide facilities and opportunities for the Continuous Professional Development (CPD)for doctors practicing in Kuwait (Kuwait Institute of Medical Specialization educational guide 2002)
- To produce competent family physicians, who fulfill the role description of the family physician.
Admission Requirements and Procedures
Medical doctors who have completed their first year internship are eligible to apply through the Secretary General, Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization. Final selection will be based on satisfactory performance in the written assessment and interviews conducted through the Faculty of Primary Health Care.
The Components of the Kuwait Family Practice Specialty Training Programme:
- It is a four year specialty training programme, which is described as the four year vocational training period.
- It consists of two phases.
- Each phase is of two years duration.
- Each phase will end with a summative assessment examination
About Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization
KIMS was established under a decree issued by HH the Amir of Kuwait. The institute is engaged in a variety of activities, including the organization of internship training of pre-registration medical graduates, specialty training at various levels in different medical fields, and continuing medical education programs for health professionals practicing in Kuwait.See all Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization courses