- Duration: 5 Days
This course in the operational use of Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) is designed to enhance the safety of navigation by providing the knowledge and skills necessary to utilize the features of ECDIS. The training and assessment incorporate the use of live marine ECDIS equipment networked with the instructor and with visual bridge simulators.
This course is designed to meet the STCW requirements for the use of ECDIS, as revised by the 2010 Manila Amendments in special regards to Tables A-II/I, A-II/2 and A-II/3. In addition the revised guidelines in Table B-I and B-II, Assessment in Navigational Watchkeeping and Evaluation of Competence are utilized in the updated program.
Trainees will become proficient in operating ECDIS equipment in a navigational context. Guided by task performance measures and standards through each lesson and exercise, and formal simulation evaluation, trainees will demonstrate skills in:
- Use, installation and correction of electronic charts,
- Validity of sensor data (including radar overlay),
- Potential errors of interpretation,
- Selecting operation settings and alarms for route monitoring
- Navigational calculations,
- Route planning, passage planning, and monitoring.
- Accessing ship’s log and data playback functions, and
- ARPA and AIS functions.
Prior to taking this course, trainees must have knowledge in basic computer operations.
Additionally, trainees will benefit from prior experience in:
- Collision avoidance on ARPA and radar
- Ship handling
- Bridge Resource Management
- Chart portfolio management
- Intermediate computer operations and electronic data management
About Emirates Technical & Safety Development Center LLC
The Emirates Technical & Safety Development Centre [ETSDC] was established in 1994 as a purpose-built training centre, specialising in safety training for the oil and gas and marine industries.
ETSDC is a leading Middle-East specialist in providing world class Safety training to global and regional approved standards.The Centre is situated in Abu Dhabi's Mussafah Industrial Area and has easy access to the sea, which enables us to carry out their lifeboat and fast rescue boat trainings in a realMan Lifting environment, which makes us the only training centre that can run these training in the GCC.See all Emirates Technical & Safety Development Center LLC courses