Course detailsThe Down Syndrome Awareness Course outlines the physical and mental characteristics of the condition and explains the causes, risk factors, medical complications that can occur, and how it is diagnosed.
You will learn how to support someone with Down Syndrome throughout their lives, as you explore how their needs change as they grow and develop. The course guides you through this, step-by-step, starting with the sometimes-controversial issue of prenatal testing for the condition, which explains the test and the ethical issues that surround it.
In addition to the usual needs of babies and young children, those with Down syndrome face specific issues, such as problems with digestion and temperature regulation. There is also a degree of learning disability, so babies with Down syndrome will experience developmental delays. You will learn how parents can overcome their anxieties and raise healthy, happy children.
Early intervention and support are key to help a child with Down's syndrome to reach their full potential. Through studying the Down Syndrome Awareness Course, you will discover the support available to children and their families and the difference it can making in preparing them for school, engaging in relationships, and understanding the world around them.
As children with Down syndrome move into adolescence, again they have the same issues as typical teenagers, though they may require more assistance in understanding the changes they are going through. You will learn how to prepare a teenager to deal with the activities of adult life, including further education, forming relationships, and engaging in safe sex.
A big part of every child's life is education. You will learn what to consider when deciding on the right kind of schooling for a child with Down syndrome, how they can be assisted in reaching their goals in the various stages of their education, and the qualifications available to them.
Further to this, you will explore the benefits of work, how to find suitable positions, and the kind of reasonable adjustments that a workplace can make in order to accommodate the needs of those with Down syndrome. The Down Syndrome Awareness Course explains how equal opportunities legislation applies to those with learning disabilities and the specialist work schemes that aim to match people with suitable employers.
Just as there is educational support for people with Downs syndrome, there is also support available for those who decide to move out of their family home. You will learn about the supported living options available, what they involve, and how the transition from the family home to a new residence is managed.
An increasing number of people with Down syndrome are living into their sixties and seventies. The Down Syndrome Awareness Course considers the challenges being faced by this group and the practical interventions that may be necessary, along with how these interventions may have to be administered.
- Module 1 - What Is Down's Syndrome?
- Module 2 - Screening, Genetic Testing, & Counselling
- Module 3 - Parenting Babies & Young Children with Down's Syndrome
- Module 4 - Helping A Child with Down's Syndrome Realise Their Full Potential
- Module 5 - Adolescents with Down's Syndrome
- Module 6 - Medical Problems Associated with Down's Syndrome
- Module 7 - Down's Syndrome & Education
- Module 8 - Down's Syndrome & Employment
- Module 9 - Supported Living Options for People With Down's Syndrome
- Module 10 - Care of Older Adults With Down's Syndrome
About Centre of Excellence
Where E-Learning Becomes Life-Changing!
Centre of Excellence is recognised worldwide as one of the leading online training providers, with hundreds of thousands of learners having gained vital skills and qualifications online via our Centre.
Our aim is to help you to achieve excellence in every area of your life via quality distance learning training courses. Whether you're looking to learn a new skill, to gain a qualification for a new career or to start a new business, Centre of Excellence can help you to achieve your goals and get to where you want to be.
- All of our courses come with full support from our dedicated team of tutors in your chosen subject field always on hand to help you complete your studies with us.
- We provide a state-of-the-art online learning platform where you can access your course materials 24/7 across any device.
- Whether you decide to study from home, from work or from wherever you choose, there are no deadlines for completing your work so you can study in your own time at your own pace.
- With over 1000 different flexible courses to choose from, we’re sure you’ll find something to fulfill your needs