This is a study and training program in dermatology and related spedalies. On completion of the program the candidate should possess sound and sold knowledge of principles of dermatology and the technical skills necessary for practice He'she should be able to diagnose, assess and safely manage Dermatology and STD patients independently
On completion of the program, the candidate must have detailed knowledge and understanding of:
- Sciences basic to dermato-venereology.
- Cinical skills in diagnosing cutaneous diseases (skin, mucous membranes, skin appendages and sexually transmitted diseases) by the use of history, clinical examination and pertinent investigative procedures.
- Cutaneous manifestation of systemic diseases.
- Dermatologic therapy (its pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, side effects and the uses and complications of other therapeutic modalities), Dermatopathoiogy, immunodermatopathology, mycology, and laser surgery.
- Dermatological literature and its analytical and critical interpretation.
- Technical skills of dermatologic surgical procedures and related aspects (knowledge of sterilization techniques, suture materials, post-surgical care) and the use of light therapy and laser treatment.
On completion of the program, the trainee should, in addition, be able to:
- Communicate effectively with patients and their families.
- Understand the patient's psychological, occupational and social needs.
- Understand ethical and medico-legal aspects of dermatology.
- Interact with other health care professionals.
- Update himself/herself through continuing medical education.
To be accepted in the training program, the applicant has to fulfill the following requirements:
- Possess a medical degree from a recognized university.
- Successful completion of his/her internship year.
- Passed the admission examination and an interview.
- Submit three Recommendation Letters from referees who have supervised the candidate in their departments confirming the suitability of the candidate for training in dermatology.
- Registration at the Kuwait Institute of Medical speciali- zation.
At the beginning of the training program each resident will receive information on the objectives of the training program, the method of training and the procedures adopted in supervision and evaluation.
During the period of the training each resident will be assigned to a teaching staff supervisor who will provide guidance and support in all issues regarding the program. The program comprises five academic years, which are pided as below:
The candidate will do one year rotation as follows:
- Internal Medicine
- Plastic Surgery
- Infectious Diseases
A minimum of 6 courses of basic sciences relevant to dermatology will be conducted by external faculty staff each year.
They will be scheduled as afternoon lectures. Each course will last one week and will be held every two months covering the following topics:
- Embryology, Biochemistry, Physiology and Histology of the skin and mucous membrane.
- Basic immunology as related to skin diseases.
- Basic pharmacology as related to skin diseases therapy.
general clinical dermatologyThe candidate should participate actively in education by perparing talks, journal clubs and seminars. Study of the basic sciences as afternoon lectures relevant to dermatovenercology.
- Pediatric dermatology
- General dermatology
- Medical dermatology
- Laser surgery and Surgical Dermatology
Chief Resident position in:
- General dermatology
Training from PGY2 to PGY5 will take place in outpatient dermatology clinics and inpatient areas under the supervision of clinical tutors.
During the sub-specialist dermatologic rotation, the candidate will do two days clinic in general dermatology.
Trainees who have satisfactorily completed the rotation program and have passed the Final Examination will be awarded the Specialization Certificate in Dermatology, Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization (SCD, KIMS), which grants them the privileges of specialists in dermatology.
KIMS was established under a decree issued by HH the Amir of Kuwait. The institute is engaged in a variety of activities, including the organization of internship training of pre-registration medical graduates, specialty training at various levels in different medical fields, and continuing medical education programs for health professionals practicing in Kuwait.See all Kuwait Institute for Medical Specialization courses