- The component activities of the ship operation
- The principles of container stowage — meeting safety requirements
- The principles of container stowage — meeting operational requirements
- Loading and discharge sequences and other documents
- Quayside and ship-mounted cranes and their operation
- Spreader beams and how they are used
- The sequence of activities in a LoLo ship operation
- The sequence of activities in a RoRo operation
- Work activities aboard ship and on the quayside
- Safe practices and good housekeeping in the ship operation.
This Unit is designed:
- outline the four components of the ship operation, for loading and discharging.
- To describe the principles followed when planning stowage on container ships and to explain how stowage affects the sequence of loading and discharge of containers.
- To describe the lifting equipment used in container loading and discharging.
- To describe the sequence of activities that make up the ship operation, for both lift-on-lift-off and roll-on-roll-off vessels.
- To describe the work of the personnel involved in the ship operation.
- To outline the safety procedures that must be followed in the ship operation.