- Introduction — definition and features of a freight container; its uses and benefits in cargo handling
- International standards for container dimensions; ISO containers
- Basic structure and components of a general purpose container
- Materials used in container construction; exercise in examining container construction and materials
- Operational specifications of ISO containers; testing and certification
- The range of container types; exercise on identifying container types.
This Unit is designed:
- Describe the nature, design and basic structure of a general purpose marine freight container.
- Name the materials from which containers are constructed, explain their advantages, disadvantages and main uses, and indicate how they can be recognized.
- Explain the dimensional and operational specifications of standard containers.
- Explain how containers are tested, approved and certificated.
- Describe the range of container types based on ISO standards.