Assertiveness is a skill that we can all learn to use more effectively. It is the ability to state clearly what it is you want need or feel, but not at the expense of other people. Unfortunately, due to cultural restrictions and lack of practice, we all tend misuse this skill and respond misleadingly to requests that are difficult, or respond negatively to criticism. This leads to communication difficulties and further misunderstanding.
This course was developed in response to requests from solicitors wanting to reduce stress and improve working relationships, social support organizations (such as Plus) wanting to enable their clients to be more assertive, and individuals wanting to improve their confidence and value within relationships.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the link between assertiveness, confidence and self-esteem
- Identify the best approach to use when voicing ideas and opinions to colleagues and senior managers
- Handle difficult situations and people confidently and assertively
- Deal with criticism, confrontation, anger, and negativity in an effective and positive way
- Overcome feelings of apprehension, and understand the importance of language and body language to assertiveness
- Develop techniques for better working relationships using assertiveness
Understanding Different Styles of Behavior
- A definition of assertive behavior
- Benefits of assertive behavior
Recognizing Your Own Style and Behaviors
- Self-assessment of your style
- Associated strengths and weaknesses
Why do People Behave the Way They Do?
- Assertiveness at work - understanding human behavior
- Building relationships with work colleagues
- How are you perceived by others?
- Avoiding the games people play
Handling Difficult Situations, Problems and Conflicts
- Confronting common problems which occur in the workplace
- Resolving conflict – dealing with difficult people
- Raising sensitive issues
Assertive, Persuasive and Positive Communication
- Moving from negative to positive ways of thinking and building your self-esteem
- Are you saying 'yes' when you should be saying 'no'?
- The art of persuasion – getting ideas across
- How self-esteem affects confidence and influences behavior
- Identifying ways of building self-esteem and developing confidence
- Taking control through positive body language
- Using assertive and positive language – making your message clear
- Persuasion skills and coping with criticism
- Applying assertive techniques in different workplace situations
About BLI Consulting & Training
We_They was founded in 1988 with the aim of providing first class training and consulting services, enabling our clients to improve and sustain a valuable competitive advantage, hence, making a positive contribution towards their success. Working closely with national and multi-national companies, we offer global experience coupled with practical, local expertise.
We aim to deliver innovative yet practical business solutions, from concept formation to implementation and evaluation. BLI’s depth of service and global reach translates into seasoned knowledge for tailoring our services to our clients’ specific needs.See all BLI Consulting & Training courses