The need for organisations to address environmental issues has never been greater. Environmental issues impact on every organisation. The rising costs of energy and raw materials, growing awareness of stakeholders and increasing environmental legislation are forcing organisations to address their own environmental performance.
Many organisations have identified that tackling environmental issues can bring benefits to their business including reduced waste and utility costs, reduced liabilities and access to new markets and investors. Large organisations recognise that they are responsible for the environmental impacts of their supply chain. They use environmental management systems to help to minimise environmental impacts and are increasingly asking their suppliers to do so, too, as a key component of tendering and supply procedures.
The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health has designed its Environmental Management qualification to provide an understanding of key environmental concepts and the ability to develop environmental management systems. This 5 day course will help middle managers and supervisors identify and manage environmental effects with responsibility for decision making, managing budgets, allocating tasks and meeting specific performance targets. It will also enable them to take corrective action and be confident in dealing with environmental issues and customer queries. The overall aim for students undertaking this training programme will be that they acquire an appropriate level of knowledge that assists them to identify and manage environmental effects. The training programme assists in developing the necessary management skills and techniques and covers key concepts involved in environmental management.
Upon successful completion of the training programme and assessment will enable candidates to understand the:
- need to improve the environmental performance of a business
- format and relevance of UK and European Union legislation as it relates to environmental performance and legal compliance
- process entailed in reviewing policies and management procedures
- nature of an organisation's environmental aspects and impacts
- purpose and stages of developing an environmental policy
- process of planning an environmental management programme
- practical techniques of environmental management need for, and techniques involved in, environmental awareness and management training
- different types of emergency and their impacts on the environment
- process and purpose of internal and external audits
- commercial reasons for producing an environmental report
- advantages and disadvantages of implementing an accredited environmental management system
- support that is available from environmental services.
The main areas covered by the syllabus are:
- The environmental context
- The management context
- Environmental aspects
- Environmental policy
- Environmental management programme
- Environmental management techniques
- Environmental auditing
- Environmental reporting
- Environmental legislation
- Environmental management standards
- Environmental management
Who should attend?
This course is designed for middle managers and supervisors with responsibility for decision-making, managing budgets, allocating tasks and meeting specific performance targets. No previous qualifications are required. This course is open to everyone. No previous in-depth environmental knowledge required. However, a basic awareness is desirable.
BSS can arrange examinations as required. There are no set examination dates. The results for the CIEH Environmental Management Certificate take approximately three weeks to process. This course is assessed by a 60 question multi-choice exam with 'pass' mark of 40 (out of 60), and a 'merit' is available for scores over 50.
About British Safety Services
BSS is one of the leading providers of health and safety training in the UK and across the globe.
Since being the first NEBOSH accredited Training Provider to export the NEBOSH National General Certificate, NGC, outside the UK shores, (Muscat, Oman; 1993), BSS has gone on to score several other firsts;
- First to present the NGC in the Sultanate of Oman
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Algeria
- First to present the NEBOSH Award in Occupational Safety & Health in Libya
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Algeria
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in China
- First NEBOSH registered Centre in Qatar for the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety
- First in Qatar to conduct the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety, with 100% pass rate, of which 7% were distinctions, 57% credits and 36% base passes
- First to Present the NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety in China.
- First to offer the IOSH Supervising Safely, (which was written by BSS and donated to IOSH).
- BSS was one of the trusted few chosen to pilot the NEBOSH International Construction Certificate in the UAE.
- BSS are extremely proud of their exceptional results and pass rate with the NEBOSH National General Certificate.
BSS is proud of their exciting development of services in the provision of Health, Safety, and Environmental, (HSE), training and consultancy. With 9 regional offices, UK, Qatar, Dubai, Yemen and China, with our two most recent offices now open in Algeria and Libya. BSS also has representative offices in Kuwait and Pakistan.
Additionally, BSS is represented on various industry bodies, and has close links with both CIEH and NEBOSH. NEBOSH revision papers and guidance is available to existing clients via the “client log in” area.
If you need support in health and safety training – in house within your organisation either in the UK or internationally, or need to attend one of our open courses please contact us.See all British Safety Services courses