- Fees / Price MYR 4,800
- Duration 3 Months
- Location Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
This course is designed to teach methods for assessment, diagnosis, intervention, and treatment of the person with substance abuse in social service, mental health, medical, rehabilitative, and specialized substance abuse settings. It is directed to clinicians who work with (1) individuals with early stage problems, (2) individuals with more serious problems who do not acknowledge the problem or its severity, (3) diagnosed alcoholics and addicts, and (4) family members who seek assistance with substance-abusing loved-ones.
What is included in the substance abuse therapy
- Clinical supervision
- Case review & assessment
Introduction to course, review of syllabus, overview of text and readings
Nature and course of substance use disorders, bio-psycho-social condition, diagnostic criteria, low risk vs high risk
Pharmacology and substances—tolerance, cross-tolerance, dependence;
Major clinical implications (medical, cognitive, behavioral) for various drug categories
- Benzodiazepines and other sedatives
- Stimulants (e.g., cocaine, methamphetamine)
- Opioids (e.g., heroin, codeine, oxycontin)
- Club Drugs (e.g., ecstasy, Ketamine, PCP)
Role of 12-Step Programs: Highlights of visits to 12-Step Programs
Screening, Assessment and Interviewing
- Exploring risk factors
- Integrating indirect questions into psychosocial history
- Taking a focused drinking/drug history
Assessment and Interviewing; Assessing co-occurring substance use and psychiatric disorders: special considerations
Influence of culture on view of alcohol/drug problems, treatment, & recovery--cultural framework
Ingredients of Integrated Treatment Approach (assessing Stage of Readiness for Change; Motivational Interviewing, disease model; self-medication, therapeutic traps).
Goal Setting and Treatment Planning: Issues requiring immediate attention; involving significant others.
Taking Action: Moderation and harm reduction; managing cravings & urges, use of "substitute" substances and behaviors.
Preventing Relapse: psycho-education, cognitive and behavioral methods, family issues;
Psychotherapy in Ongoing Recovery: intimacy, separation and individuation; incentives for recovery
Family Recovery: early recovery tasks; challenges; interventions
- We use the mastery system of education. Besides lecturing, this course provides clinical experience such as: research, case study, group clinical supervision, reflections,discussions & presentation. Assessment includes case study oral and written presentations, group participation, research paper and assignments.
- The topics mentioned above are taught within 3 months. During this period, students will also be given clinical case assignments and presentations to do. Our course is structured as 2 intensive workshop with 6 group clinical supervision & oral / written case presentation for the assessment. Fulfilling the attendance and passing the criteria given will lead to towards the licensed practitioner membership of Adult Psychotherapy, Geriatric Psychotherapy, Family Therapy, Couple Therapy, Child Therapy, Art Therapy and/or Expressive Therapy Divisions of Malaysia Association of Psychotherapy.
Below are the equipments used:
- Psychometric instruments
- Subliminal recordings cds
- PsychoAromatherapy essential oil blends and pots
- Insomnia laboratory diagnostic testing kits
- Insomnia psychonutrtional medicine
- Reference books and journals
- Journaling and art therapeutic materials
- Audio Resources
- White board
- Notes/ books
Our team of professional psychologists and counselors have been accredited practitioner licenses after having met the highest standards of qualifications set by various key professional bodies in Malaysia. This includes The Malaysian Association of Psychotherapy, The Malaysian Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Association, The Malaysian Society for Complementary Medicine, The National Board of Professional and Ethical Standards Hypnosis Education & Certification.See all International Psychology Center courses