- Location: Central Area - Central
- Duration: 8 weeks
The Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA) is an introductory course for candidates who have little or no previous English Language teaching experience. It may also be suitable for candidates with some experience but little previous training.
Idealy you should:
- be aged 21 or over
- have a standard of English which will enable you to teach at a range of levels.
- IELTS 7.0, PTE 80. YOU DON'T NEED TO DO IELTS or PTE. A final interview is mandatory for acceptance.
We may still accept you if you do not have formal qualifications at this level but can demonstrate that you would be likely to complete the course successfully. We may, at our discretion, accept applicants aged between 18 and 20.
You are assessed throughout the course on your:
- 6 hours of teaching practice/ 8 sessions (lesson planning, class teaching and self-evaluation)
- 4 written assignments (totalling 1500 words)
Your performance is measured against criteria which you are given at the start of the course.
There is no final examination. Generally you need to pass at least 6 of 8 Teaching Practice sessions and not resubmit any assignment more than twice.
Worldwide CELTA grades in 2011:
- 4% Pass A
- 23% Pass B
- 68% Pass
- 1% withdrawn
- 4% fail
- the principles of effective teaching
- provides a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- gives you hands-on teaching practice
There are five main units of learning:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
108 (minimum) hours of seminars and demonstrations to explore communicative teaching methodologies including: How to teach speaking, writing, reading, listening, grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, function and form
- teaching adults in a variety of contexts including general English, business English, exam preparation
- classes, and how to adapt these methodologies to the younger learner classroom
- lesson planning
- how to use or adapt course books and design your own classroom materials
- language analysis and awareness
- factors affecting motivation, cultural backgrounds and learner styles
- teaching practice preparation
- detailed feedback of your teaching practice
- 6 (minimum) hours of assessed teaching practice with real classes
- 6 (minimum) hours directed observation of lessons taught by experienced teachers
- 120 hrs (minimum total) - 108 + 6 + 6.
- 80 hours of work at home including lesson preparation, assignments and course reading
CELTA Certificate from University of CambridgeUpdated on 26 April, 2018
About CA International College
CA International College offers TESOL/CELTA as well as the professional partners for the new PTE academic language test in Singapore. CA works with the most recognised institutions in the field of English teacher training. CA's working partners are University of Cambridge (CELTA), International House (Certificate IV in TESOL) and Pearson Test of English.See all CA International College courses