- Introduce participants to asset-liability management main definitions and concepts.
- Enable participants to understand the asset / liability structure of commercial banks.
- Increase the awareness of participants towards different types of risks result from ALM.
- Acquaint participants with the necessary skills needed to manage the risks related to changes in the mix of balance sheet assets and liabilities.
- Introduction to asset liability management:
- ALM definitions.
- Importance of ALM.
- Objectives of ALM.
- Asset-liability structure of commercial banks:
- Understanding bank’s balance sheet.
- Understanding a bank’s income statement.
- Major types of risk faced by commercial banks.
- Risk measurement and management:
- Gap analysis.
- Maturity analysis.
- Duration analysis.
- Value at risk.
- Asset / liability strategies.
- Using derivatives in asset-liability management.
- The term structure of interest rate:
- The yield curve.
- Yield curve theories.
- Exercises and case studies.
About Institute of Banking Studies
The Central Bank of Jordan began in 1965 to study the necessary means of setting up a team for theoretical and practical training aimed at promoting human cadres of the banking and financial sector and study its employees needs and satisfy their desires to advance their scientific and practical abilities . These efforts culminated in the creation of the Institute of Banking Studies in accordance with Article (37) Paragraph (d) of the Central Bank of Jordan Law and in accordance with the Institute,s Articles of Association No. (69) issued on 1970. The Institute was officially inaugurated on October 9, 1971 and was housed then at the Central Bank,s premises.
In the early 1990,s , the Institute witnessed a new stage ; the construction of the Institute,s permanent headquarter in Tla,a Al Ali , a suburb of the capital Amman . The complex was constructed on an eight dunums plot of land and comprised of administration units, academic and training activities halls, library, laboratories, cafeteria, health clinic and a multipurpose hall. Also , the Institute has two branches, one in Irbid and the other in Aqaba. The purpose of these branches is to widen the distribution of academic and training activities conducted by the Institute to cover the various regions of the Kingdom.See all Institute of Banking Studies courses